WineBoard
Madeira/Porto - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Madeira/Porto (/thread-19853.html)

- miriam - 10-05-1999

Would you please be so kind as to define what Madeira and Porto are? (I'm specifically interested in the relationship between the two with regard to cooking.)

thank you
Miriam

- Fred - 10-05-1999

If you asked me what Madeira and Porto are, the only thing I would say is: Delicious!

I'll leave the real definitions to the experts, but I would only add that before cooking with them, I highly recommend tasting them in their various incarnations - truly enjoyable.

Fred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 10-05-99).]

- Thomas - 10-05-1999

Madeira and Port are fortified wines, but that is the extent of their similarity, except that each are Portuguese (the real stuff, that is).

The classic fortified wine is grape juice that may or may not be fermented into still wine, and is then fortified with distilled brandy. The final product generally has an alcohol content from 18 to 20 percent by volume.

Both Madeira and Port are subjected to particular winemaking techniques unique to their regions and style, and there are a number of different styles of wines in each of the two categories. Oh yes, each place is a separate Portuguese wine-producing region.

Except for the type of grape varieties used, and the location of production, Madeira's real difference with Porto is that it undergoes something called "estufa" process, which essentially is a heating process as much as 104 degrees Fahrenheit for a few months. This cooking truly stabilizes the wine, and many true Madeiras (there are knock-offs produced in the U.S.) have the longest life span for wine that you can imagine, even after the bottle has been open for a while. I recently tasted a Madeira over 100 years old the bottle of which had been opened for more than a week--the wine was still wonderful. Because Port is not cooked , it is not stabilized for that kind of longevity.

There are dry and there are sweet Madeiras and Ports; the dry Madeiras are usually much drier than dry Ports. The sweetest Madeira is generally sweeter than most sweet Ports.

There are many other things that can be said of each, and I am sure someone else will post them soon.

- Jason - 10-06-1999

From a taste perspective, Madiera is always more acidic to me. I find this to be a good thing as it balances the natural fruit left by arresting the fermentation. Madiera is generally varietally labeled. Strangley enough the older it gets the drier it gets.
A 10 year Malmsey by Blandy's is a favorite.
There are also two major flavor types of Porto, ruby and tawny. Ruby is much more like red wine and is very deep and fruity, good with cheese. Tawnies are much more amber in color and have more of a caramel character. The classic with these is flan or creme brulee.

- Jason - 10-06-1999

Oops, forgot the cooking perspective. The products Foodie and I mentioned are not really cooking level stuff. There is a level of Madeira that is made for cooking called Rainwater. Chefs dig this as it adds much flavor without adding a lot of fluid to the sauce.
If you are going to cook with port use something labeled ruby or tawny. Also South Africa and Australia make some really good stuff in this level that can also be a good drink.

- Jerry D Mead - 10-08-1999

Re Port styles...it's hard to beat California's Ficklin for value and quality.

For vintage style (more expensive) try Quady's "Starboard"