WineBoard
I think my taste is evolving... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I think my taste is evolving... (/thread-19842.html)

- Triple H - 03-13-2006

It seems as though it's taking me longer than I'd like to feel more confident in my palate, but last week something happened that was another water mark in the journey.

I don't really consume that much wine, and my wife drinks even less so that's part of the problem. I've averaged 1-2 bottles/week for the past 4 or so years and I've got around 60 mostly singles that I've collected.

I've had a single bottle of 1999 Leonetti Cab sitting there since I bought it nearly 4 years ago and finally opened it last week. I've gathered that Bucko in particular says Leonetti is a "well made wine if you like that style" meaning lots O Oak. I admit that over the years I've struggled to completely identify the Oak component, but after drinking this one...I think I've got it! and honestly that wine was not for me. it was extremely soft and velvety on the palette, but the flavors were lost in the oak. It kind of reminded me of the buttery Chards from California that I’ve never understood either. A few nights later I had a L’Cole 41 Walla Walla Cab and though not as evident as the Leonetti, I could definitely taste the oak there as well.

I’m almost rambling now so I’ll stop, but the journey just keeps getting more interesting.

Harry

- robr - 03-13-2006

I know what you are saying, I think. You are now able to discern the oak, and the amount of it, and you don't like it because it masks the flavor of the fruit. I'm headed in that same direction, if I understand you correctly. I'm looking for more fruit, less oak, and finding that these are much more interesting and better tasting wines.

- Triple H - 03-13-2006

ya that's it. much more concise though. I guess I'm a bit frustrated at how long it takes to get it right. Thank goodness I didn't buy a case of Leonetti!

- Thomas - 03-13-2006

You guys have no idea how happy you make me.

If wine was meant to taste like wood, it would grow on trees and bark...

- WileECoyote - 03-13-2006

"You guys have no idea how happy you make me.

If wine was meant to taste like wood, it would grow on trees and bark..."

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] I like that statement but without oak, would I be safe to assume that vanilla and or caramel would not be there in reds either?

- Thomas - 03-13-2006

Good question WilE.

I don't think vanilla is an inherent red wine trait, and I don't think caramel is a great idea for red wine (at least not in my book) so I guess the answer is a resounding yes! But don't get me wrong: oak is not a bad thing, but wine should not be dominated by the taste of oak--that's a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-13-2006).]

- wondersofwine - 03-14-2006

I had a 2002 Frei Brothers Pinot Noir Reserve (Russian River Valley) priced in low $20s at grocery store a couple years ago that I thought illustrated a good balance between wood and fruit. In this instance the wine had rich, ripe fruit on the nose and palate, and subtle wood influence served to enhance the wine. It's hard for me to name other examples because if the wood is subtle enough, sometimes the wine drinker is not even conscious of it. Basically, if the wine seems well balanced that's a good thing. I'm more likely to notice when the oak is overpowering. I have had some white Burgundies from Puligny Montrachet or Chassagne Montrachet that also pick up just a touch of butterscotch from the barrels and that can be appealing, but I'm not seeking the "buttered popcorn" taste.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-14-2006).]

- jv38 - 03-14-2006

I Prefer hints of oaks that accentuate the fruit. To me right combination will keep the oak components (vanilla, butter, caramel, coffee, chocolate, tobacco) as a back ground to cherries, and blackberries...

It is difficult to describe...

- Thomas - 03-14-2006

Here's the easiest description I can think of:

if any one component of a wine is dominant as to intrude, the wine is out of balance.

- Bucko - 03-15-2006

You boyz all do me proud. Contrary to what some might think, I do not mind oak. However, I want it as a seasoning, not the main component of the entree. I'm so damned weary of the over-oaked messes masquerading as wine these days.

- WineCOW - 03-20-2006

Triple H - In reference to your original experience:

"I've had a single bottle of 1999 Leonetti Cab sitting there since I bought it nearly 4 years ago and finally opened it last week."

Keep in mind that if you don't like too much oak then you may not want to age a red wine (especially one with strong oak flavors) for several years. Generally as a red wine ages it's flavor moves from being more fruity (which you like) and bold to other flavors associated with age, including wood (which you don't like too much of), leather, and earthy/minerally. I hope this helps as you continue to discover your true palet for wine.

NOTE: If you open it young however, and it's too tight then just give it several spins in a decanter and that should help soften some of the younger/strong tannins.