WineBoard
NEW SPANISH WINES - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: NEW SPANISH WINES (/thread-19782.html)

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-03-2006

Hello everyone I have some new Spanish Wines on the market I would like some help on how to get started selling them? Any help would be appriciated.

- wineguruchgo - 01-04-2006

Hello PIMARO.CHICAGO

Welcome to the wineboard!

If you have the wines at home or in storage there are two routes you can go.

1st - you can find a distributor to sell the wines for you and you act as the broker. This way they are responsible for the sale and distribution of the product and you will make a small profit for being "the middle man".

2nd - you can sell and distribute the wines yourself. So long as your licenses are in order you just need to put the wines in a winebag and start hitting the streets.

Depending on how much wine you have/can get will tell you if you want to focus on the "On Premise" (restaurants) or "Off Premise (retail) sectors of the market.

If you only have limited quantities (under a pallet of each wine) I would focus on premise. Large retailers such as Sams and Binnys can wipe out a pallet with one order and then you will be waiting for your next shipment.

You can, also, do a little bit of both. Focus on restaurants and small wineshops.

That's what I would do.

If you need more info let me know. I've been in the distribution business here in Chicago for years.

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-05-2006

Hello wineguruchgo,

Nice to meet you acctually I have an Importer friend in Miami FL, that can ship pallets, containers, cases whatever is needed also were able to ship direct from Spain. I'm woundering what the procedure is here in chicago for getting the brokers license? I'm looking to cater more to the Distributors for now i'm assuming I would need the brokers license?

We also have many other items from spain specialty items such as sheep cheese, 20 varietys of stuffed olives, Extra Virgin Olive oil the best from spain, Ham and lot more products on the way.

This wine we have was special ordered by the President of Spains son for his wedding and even Bill Gates orders this wine. Its brand new here in the states no one has it yet. If you've got any other pointers for me let me know. I want to Thank You very much for answering my?'s you've been very helpful. 2006 is a new year for us I think our products will be a success.

- wineguruchgo - 01-05-2006

I would contact the Liquor Commission of the State of Illinois.

Here are links:

http://www.state.il.us/lcc/

for Brokers License:

http://www.state.il.us/lcc/docs/broker.pdf

How many cases to expect to bring in? I ask because with this number I can direct you to the right distributor.

If it's just a small number of each wine I would go to Caputo which also distributes wine, cheese, oils, etc...to many restaurants here in Chicago.

If it's a larger number than I would still go through Caputo for the foods stuffs and a different distributor for the wine.

The distributor that I work for is very small (5 salespeople)while Southern has probably 100 salespeople.

Hope that helps

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-05-2006

wineguruchgo,

Thanks once again for all the advise I'm ready to move Cases, Pallets, and Containers of wine I can have them shipped and here tomorrow and the food I'm ready to move the same amount I just need the right Distributor or Distributors? I live near a Caputo's and I love that store I was going to go there and see what can be done so now you've fired me up I did'nt know that Caputos distributed to the resturants here in chicago I'm going to look into that for sure. I was also going to stop at Butera supermarket not sure if you know it?

Thanks for those links and I'll be calling the Liquor Commission of the State of Illinois to get more info on that. You mentioned Southern for the wine do you mean Southern Wine and Spirits?

- wineguruchgo - 01-06-2006

Yes, Southern is Southern Wine & Spirits...the other big one here is Judge & Dolph.

For the medium sized distributors you have Heritage & Distinctive.

Smaller distributors are: Pure, Maverick, Vintage & Metro.

One key selling point, if you are willing to do it, is to tell them that you, yourself, will be out peddling the product as well. Nothing makes a salesperson work harder for your brand than someone out there helping them make commission.

Hope that helps.

- barnesy - 01-07-2006

Very true,

I work for a distributor here in Portland. I always put in extra effort for the suppliers that I know are working hard for me. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Barnesy

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-07-2006

barnesy,

Send me an email tell me what you have in mind? PIMARO.CHCIAGO@comcast.net and if anyone else has any recommendations or suggesetions please send me and email.

[This message has been edited by PIMARO.CHICAGO (edited 01-07-2006).]

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-07-2006

wineguruchgo,

Hey how should I approach these big distributors should I wait till I get the License or should I go now. And How long you think dose it take to get the License? Should I call and make an appointment or should I just show up?

- wineguruchgo - 01-08-2006

Just like with other "drugs" you are trying to distribute/sell without a license. I wouldn't do anything until you are licensed. As for time frame? I"m not sure. Since Illinois isn't on a lottery system you might get one fairly quickly. I'm just not sure.

After you are licensed I would contact each distributor and ask who the "Brand Manager" is for Spanish Wines. Then contact them and ask for an appointment. If they try to stall you ask them if you can drop off samples with literature about each wine and your company. Most will agree to that. In the letter/literature about your company thank them for their time and tell that you will call them "next week" to follow up. Then call them 1 week later. Understand that they might not get to the wine immediately, yet if they know you will be calling shortly they will more than likely try them sooner rather than later.

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 01-08-2006).]

- PIMARO.CHICAGO - 01-23-2006

Sorry Wineguruchgo,

I was out of town thanks alot for the advise i'm now in the middle of filling out the paperwork for the license you've been very helpful. Do you recommend any wine clubs for distributors I should join?