WineBoard
Wine sediments - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine sediments (/thread-19744.html)

- Kayden - 12-18-1999

I have a 1979 Wollsteiner Rheingrafenstein Kabinett that I have been storing for years. Two questions:

1.Is this wine worth continuing to store or is it going to taste like vinager when I open it? (it has always been stored in dark/cool/on side etc.).

2. There are sediments that have "built up" on the bottom (side) of the bottle during storing periods. Should I not disturb the sediments? Would shaking the bottle not be good for the wine?

Thanks
K

- Randy Caparoso - 12-18-1999

I cannot tell you about the specific wine you have, since I have no experience it. But I do know German wine, and they tend to be a lot more durable than a politician on the presidential trail.

If, when you open your bottle, it is still a bright golden color (and not a dirty brown), chances are you're doing fine. If it smells fruity, honeyish, or even slightly petrol-like, you're doing better -- that's how old German whites smell. Chances are, it will taste just fine -- a little tired, perhaps ('79 was considered an average year), but fine. But just in case, I'd have a backup bottle of a younger wine ready just in case (if you're waiting for an occasion) the wine comes out tasting flat as a Republican at a tree huggers' rally.

Those little floating things you see in the bottle, by the way, are not sediment, but crystalized tartaric acid deposits. Totally harmless, virtually tasteless. They might look gnarly, of course, so you might want to stand the bottle up in the refrigerator for about a day just before serving, so that they stay at the bottom of the bottle while you're pouring it. I can't say drinking them down is quite as exciting as eating the worm in a tequila bottle, but what the heck -- sometimes you gotta live dangerously!

- Bucko - 12-19-1999

1979 was a B+ year. 1983 was a solid A year. The 1983s at the Auslese level are starting to fade and need drinking. 1979, especially at the Kabinett level would definitely fare no better -- drink up now and hope for the best.

Bucko

- Kayden - 12-22-1999

Ok, As long as every one agrees that I should open her, I'm doin' it (for new years). The wine (looking through the bottle) is as clear as day. Just Powdery/dusty (not chunky) debris built up, on the bottom/side of the bottle. Will have a backup bottle anyway. It's a 79' Pieroth Kabinett (K. Ferdinand Pieroth).

I've had this Wine stored since I was 14, no kidding '(mothers' divorce deal) so I've stored it ever since, and understanding the deteriation level of wine, I Just need some confidence from you guys, that the time is now, to open this Wine!..

Thanks, A very important decicion for me!
K

- bonoman - 12-23-1999

Kayden Wait!!!

I just saw a special on this. You have to decant your wine. If you go onto the foodtv.com web site they tell you what to do. You shouldn't shake it at all. You need to slow pour your wine into a decanter. Go check it out before you open your wine!!