WineBoard
Sweet wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sweet wines (/thread-19734.html)

- Andie - 11-09-2006

My husband and I are just getting into wine and find we like sweet wines. We would like to find a few 'any day' wines to have in our home. We have been trying brands from the stor and find we are spending lots of money to find what we don't like. By 'any day' I mean a lower cost wine like Yellow tail, woddbridge, Barefoot.... We are also looking for special day wines. I was hoping some more experienced persons out there could point out to us the sweet wines in these type of brands ( liquor and grocery store). Thanks.

- Kcwhippet - 11-09-2006

Welcome to the WineBoard, Andie. Unfortunately, there are no sweet wines made by any of the wineries you mentioned. One very widely available sweet wine is Riunite Lambrusco, and you may want to give it a try. Also, there about 40 wineries in Indiana and most make sweet wines. You might want to visit some of them and determine if what you really want is sweet wines as opposed to fruity wines. Once you find what you really like, we'd be glad to make some recommendations. Here's the web site that lists all the Indiana wineries, several near you. www.indianawines.org/wineries/?loc=map

- Andie - 11-09-2006

We have tried and found many of these wines we like. We love Round barn, tabor Hill, And Anderson. We are looking for something we can just grab at the store. Are there any 'name' brands sold at stores like the ones I mentioned that are sweet?

- Innkeeper - 11-09-2006

For one thing I would demand to know from my rerailer why they don't carry local wines. Here in New England just about every retailer including state store here in NH carry local wines.

Just about the only widly distributed red is the afore mentioned Lambrusco. For whites look for Rieling or Chenin Blanc that do not have "Dry/troken/or sec" on the label.

- wondersofwine - 11-09-2006

A white wine suggestion is Columbia Winery Cellarmasters Riesling from Washington State. It is a sweet wine that is often popular with newcomers to the wine scene and sells for about $9-$11 in many stores. For a special day wine you might look for a German Spatlese or Auslese level Riesling from Germany (white wines), a Banfi Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui (Italian sparkling red wine), or a Muscat or Moscato from the United States, or Italy or Australia (white dessert wine). Quady, in California, makes dessert wines from the Black Muscat or Orange Blossom Muscat grapes. Port may also appeal to you but is higher in alcohol than normal wine and expensive. I would see if you could taste different types of Port (Ruby, white Porto, late bottled vintage or tawny Port, Colheita) at a wine shop before purchasing any. Vintage Port is usually the most expensive and should be stored for a number of years before consumption so that's not what you are looking for at this stage but you might like the ruby Ports which are much less expensive. Fonseca Ruby Port, for example, is $12 to $14--not bad for a special occasion. Australia also produces some nice inexpensive "Ports" (Port should properly be from Portugal but the name is used elsewhere in the world).

- winophite - 11-11-2006

Oliver winery in Bloomington In has a couple of wines they sell in Walmart stores and Sam's club stores. Soft red and soft white, are both moderately sweet and priced around 10.00. Not much for me (i lean toward dries, but other family members like them. Winophite