WineBoard
red wine for relaxing - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: red wine for relaxing (/thread-19721.html)

- seashall6 - 02-18-2003

Hi,
When I come home from work I like to cook and relax while drinking a glass or two or three of wine. I usually drink Beringer, zinfindel but I want to switch to red wine(not expensive). I've enjoyed Gallo Twin Valley Merlot (California) but I want to try others. I do not enjoy dry red wines at all. Any suggestions?

- Innkeeper - 02-18-2003

Hi Seashall, and welcome to the Wine Board. I guess you meant to say Beringer White Zinfandel. If you like the Gallo, stay with it for a while. Another brand you may want to try is Sutter Home. They have sold tons of white zin, and later came out with a line of red wines including merlot and cabernet sauvignon that are ever so slighlty off dry. They also have smooth tannins to make them easier to drink. Their marketing ploy was to wean people like you off of white zin onto their line of wine.

- BEEBEEP - 02-22-2003

I’ve consumed my fare share of Beringer White Zin, (and it’s still a favorite). Lately when I’ve been craving something with a little more substance I’ll have a Beringer “Stone Cellars” merlot ($5.00), as merlot’s go it’s fruity and not too heavy. If I really want to spoil myself, or want something a little richer, I’ll have a Bogle merlot ($10.00 - $12.00).

Livingston has an inexpensive “Red Rose” California table wine, that’s on the sweet side for a red. I like to use it in my homemade marinara sauce, and of course have a glass or two , (or three [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]) when cooking.

Oh, pay attention to this InnKeeper person, their quite knowledgeable and helpful.

- quijote - 02-22-2003

A light red that I've been enjoying lately while cooking is light, fruity, tangy Beaujolais Nouveau (such as Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages). It's not complex, but it's very engaging in its own way, and it gets my taste buds warmed up for fuller wines during the meal.

- Innkeeper - 02-22-2003

Just a slight correction Beaujolais Nouveau and Beaujolais Village are completely different wine. The Nouveau is a short lived wine from the current vintage, in this case 2002. Being short lived, the 2002 Nouveau is now just about dead.

Beaujolais Village is a regularly bottled and released Beaujolais from a tighter appellation (Villages). The current release is 2001 although the 2002 will be out soon if not already.

Having said all that there is such a thing as Beaujolais Villages Nouveau, which is also a Nouveau from the current vintage. It doesn't last any longer than the regular Nouveau, and would be fading fast right now.

Incidentally the 2002 Nouveau did not, with few exceptions, get reviewed well here and elsewhere. This does not bode well for all 2002 Beaujolais and their Crus. So stock up on the 2001, and even the bigger 2000 Crus such as Morgon and Moulin-a-Vent.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-22-2003).]

- quijote - 02-22-2003

The wine I've been drinking is Nouveau Beaujolais-Villages, and the vintage is 2002. I thought it was tasty but not phenomenal.

Now I have a question about Beaujolais Nouveau and Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau...and I'll post it on the Beaujolais thread.

- seashall6 - 03-11-2003

Hello,
Thanks for the replies on nice sweet red wines. I must say that I tried the Beaujolais Nouveau and it was not sweet....not even semi-sweet. I did not enjoy it at all. The one I had was Georges Dubceuf/France....$9.99.

I got another bottle of the Gallo Twin Valley Merlot and did not care for it either...the guy at the liquor store suggested Ernest Julio Gallo Cabernet Sauvignor....it too was bitter.

Any other suggestions out there. I'm not looking for wine as sweet as candy, but I do not want a bitter wine.

- Innkeeper - 03-11-2003

Try Reunite Lambrusco.

- hotwine - 03-11-2003

There aren't that many wines made that are "sweet as candy". Try a port for a red, or for a white, a Sauternes.

- seashall6 - 03-11-2003

Hello,

It's me....still looking for that tasty red wine that's not too dry. Reunite Lambrusco is a wine I use to drink in college. If I remember, it's cheap and has no character. I don't want anything that cheap. I don't mind spending a few dollars. My doctor recommended red wine because of my low iron...he didn't really give me a particular name. I have one more in my wine rack...can't remember what it is but I'll try it soon. Thanks anyway for your help.

- Innkeeper - 03-11-2003

Ok, Reunite has improved considerably over the years. You can also look for a more sophisticated Lambrusco. Here is another option, go to http://www.mountpleasant.com/ and order their Highland Red.

- maggieg58 - 03-13-2003

I like red wines from Bola. My favorite is valpolacela--mild and light, but a great flavor. That spelling might be off just a little, but it's close.