WineBoard
How much wine is too much in a night? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How much wine is too much in a night? (/thread-19615.html)

- watchcrazy - 07-30-2002

I just started enjoying this fine hobby and have found myself drinking almost an entire bottle in an evening. My wife doesn't really drink wine and I worry about it going bad if I don't drink it all. I don't want to sound like a lush, but I just hate to see anything go to waste.

What would you recommend? 1-3 glasses an evening? Is that too much? It is just when I get into something I kinda go overboard. I am the same way about wristwatches :-)

- wondersofwine - 07-30-2002

A couple glasses of wine a day can be healthy for you. More than that and the health benefits weigh on the other side (more detrimental effects than beneficial effects).
But I'm not one to police your consumption. If you are worried about the wine going bad, cork it tightly (or close it if it has a screw top opening) and store in refrigerator. With red wine you can take bottle out 40-60 minutes before drinking to let it warm to room temperature. Most wines are still quite drinkable the second or third day (some even seem to improve--I've had that experience with chiantis and a few other wines).

- Glass_A_Day - 07-31-2002

I tend to finish the whole bottle each night. The way I look at it is that you only go this way once. If your not waking up feeling sub par, then I say enjoy.

- winoweenie - 08-01-2002

Hi Watchcrazy and welcome to the board.I'll throw in my two magnums worth here...I've been a bottle a night drinker for over 30 years. I purchased a can of Private Preserve in 86 and it still has 119 uses left ( Used it once back in 94. Was to preserve the 10 ozs' left in the 2nd bottle of the night). Your body lets you know when to lighten up. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- leatherman - 08-01-2002

I usually put 1/2 bottle into a decanter then right away vacuvin the remainder & put into the fridge if I will drink within 2 days otherwise into the freezer where it will keep for a long time. I find a whole bottle gives me a wee hangover the next day whereas 1/2 bottle gets me a nice sleep & no side effects come A.M.

- Thomas - 08-01-2002

One glass, two glasses, one bottle, two bottles--as others have said, if it does not mess up your life, and you feel good each morning, then you are not consuming too much...my tolerance is about a bottle a night. The studies that point to two glasses a day also purposely aim for the conservative number, so as not to appear to be condoning alcohol consumption. We wine drinkers know the difference between mere alcohol consumption and liquid food.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-01-2002).]

- winer - 08-01-2002

I have found that using a Vacuvin pump and stopper to extract most of the air in the bottle will allow a red wine to be kept "almost" as good as new for several days. It certainly keeps a lot better than if the bottle was just recorked. Extracting the air in the bottle does wonders, in my opinion. I believe this works best with a red wine, but it also helps preserve white wines as well.

- winoweenie - 08-01-2002

Hi Winer and welcome to the board. The Vac-U-Vin, IMHO, is almost worthless in preserving wine. The " Private Preserve " mentioned above is a creditable preservative that has proven it will keep wine for 2 and sometimes 3 days. I never give ole' "spoilage" a chance. Drink that sucker! WW

- mrdutton - 08-03-2002

A bottle of wine a day works out just fine for me.

I've never had any problems getting up the next day or feeling anything other than bright eyed and chipper.

- Auburnwine - 08-09-2002

I'd be interested in other opinions on the vacuvin. Good science would suggest that someone open two bottles of one wine, plug one and vacuvin the other. Or maybe refrigerate yet another one.

I've thought my vacuvin aided preservation, but a plugged bottle may work about as well.

At any rate, this seems to be an interesting research topic. Perhaps let Consumer Reports compare the different systems.

- hotwine - 08-09-2002

We're all over the map on that subject, AW. I use it every day and others on the board give the whole idea a Bronx cheer. I Vacuvin and refrigerate to preserve a remnant overnight, and have found that to be far better than plugging the bottle and setting it on the kitchen counter. But others say "No way, Jose'". Go figure.

- winoweenie - 08-09-2002

HWS'.... The key term is I" Refrigerate overnight ". The refrigeration is the key. There have been many studies on the preservation of opened wine and the Ica-Boxa is one of the best natural preservatives. Many of the bottles that have been good after 3-5 days used the Private Preserve (a combo of the inert gasses (N2), (Co2), and (Ar). Hotsie-Totsie if you'ns 'll jes' put the stuff in the fridge that's left over it'll be the same as iffn' you pumped it till youses' muscles start showing agin' (That is, if you drink them suckers the next day )

- hotwine - 08-09-2002

The quantity remaining after dinner is usually only one glass, which is half the lovely wife's allocation. I dutifully put it away for her to have the next evening before dinner (while I move on to the next bottle). Half the time, if she's not lookin', I'll go ahead and finish that sucker myself. But if she IS lookin', I'll catch some kind of grief: "Haven't you already had two glasses?" I'm using the biggest confounded glasses I can find already (Riedel Bord. Somms.).

- Welton - 08-10-2002

If the wine is opened and I have sprayed it with private preserve, should I lay the bottle upward or on the side? Does it matter?

thanks

- winoweenie - 08-10-2002

Hi Welton and welcome to the board. Makes no difference as the gasses blanket the wine. WW

- sharktanq - 08-23-2002

Hotwine and I have alot in common. I also bought the biggest wine glasses around. Of course - approved by the wife [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] You know. The ones that can hold at least half the bottle?! Anyway - I find it hard to want to recork, vacuvin, or just put to the side the last glass of wine in the bottle. I have grown to absolutely love wine. I savor every thing about it. When talking about wine, I even get the Pavlov effect. Whoops, it's starting again...
Anyway, the hurdle to overcome is: How to convince our significant others, that the bottle of wine must be consumed in the evening it was opened, and if they don't drink their "part" then it should default to the other? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 08-23-2002

I sometimes mutter, "This one won't last, and it would be a shame to waste that last glass, so I'll do my duty and put it out of its misery..."

- Thomas - 08-23-2002

I simply sneak off with whatever remains--that is why each house has more than one room...

- sharktanq - 08-23-2002

HW. Okay, sounds like one I will "try" and use. I've gone the when she's not looking route too, but usually get the "hey, that's my half" look, and often tone, but when it's time for bed, the wine is STILL there! Arrgh! So at that point, I offer to finish it up, she declines, and pours the rest in her glass and takes it to bed. In the morning, the glass hasn't been touched. But since I'm such a good husband, sometimes after she's asleep, I'll take the glass back to the kitchen to "rinse" it out. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]