WineBoard
Does merlot age well? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Does merlot age well? (/thread-19613.html)

- winowannabe - 08-14-2002

First time posting. Found a bargain cart today and took the plunge into beginning a collection. Found a 1995 Stone Creek French Merlot. Does merlot hold up as well as other reds, or is this boy already past his prime?

- Kcwhippet - 08-14-2002

I went to their web site - www.stonecreekwines.com - to see what the winery would say about their wines. Well, they proudly state that their wines are made for immediate consumption. Their suggested retail for their Merlot is $8.49. So, you have an inexpensive Merlot made to be drunk young, and we're seven years down the road. This wouldn't be a world beater, but it could be a real surprise. Go ahead,open it up and try it. Just have another bottle ready in case it didn't make it. As to longevity, some Merlots (Ch. Petrus, for example) can age for many, many years.

- Innkeeper - 08-14-2002

Starting late this year and early next the 2000 Pomerals and St Emilions will be released. They are blends primarily of merlot with cabernets sauvignon and franc added. Any that you pay more than $18 for will age five to ten years. Only a handful of California Merlots will age gracefully and they sell for upwards of $50. Duckhorn and Cafaro are examples.

- winowannabe - 08-14-2002

Thanks! I had gone to the Stone Creek site, but missed the 'enjoy them now'. Probably due to my tunnel vision search looking for that particular vintage. I really appreciate the info!

It seems to be developing an interesting personality as it breathes. Smooth, berries, and a definite cola finish. Hmm. I would say it has held up fairly well. But then, I am not an experienced taster at all. My only real experience was as a waitress/bartender in a fine dining restaraunt. The manager had built up a fairly nice collection and trained us periodically so that we could effectively and knowledgeably sell. When I started working there, the only things I would touch were good beers and maybe a white zin. (I know, tacky, tacky! I learned to refer to it as 'ripple') After a year or so, he actually had me drinking an occassional glass of Opus, Far Niente, and Ridge Zin. Yummy! I have to admit though, I do still fancy the sweeter wines for sipping. Cambria Chardonnay Katherine's Vineyard and Chateau St. Michelle Reisling are probably still my preferred sippers. I am developing though...

I enjoyed reading many of the posts here last night and look forward to delving into this new hobby. Thanks again!!!

- fangi - 08-16-2002

yeah interesting discussion...

made me think of a 1995 la tonnelle (i think it's AOC), Bordeaux that the PA liquor control board store is pushing at $9.99 a bottle. The first thought that went through my head is that i'd like a more recent vintage for that price. Like the merlot mentioned above, i think this Bordeaux is most likely on its way out. I refuse to buy it and find out, but reading this thread makes me think i done good by avoiding it.

(why else would the PLCB be pushing it at a discount price?)

anyone ever had la tonnelle? any one wanna challenge this?

cheers
--brett