WineBoard
find a good tasting wine to replace.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: find a good tasting wine to replace.... (/thread-19528.html)

- psyko4cats - 02-09-2008

I went to the Stone Hill winery that is close to a tasting and found that I really liked there concord wine. It is a very sweet wine that taste a little like a concord grape that it is made with. I am trying to find a wind that cost less that I can drink on a daily bases. I have one glass a night for my health. What would be a good wine to try?

- dananne - 02-10-2008

When traveling through Missouri a few weeks ago, I noticed that most grocery stores and wine shops had a wide selection of local MO wines that range across the dryness spectrum, with many falling into the "sweet" or "semisweet" categories. I'm not sure if any are available in your state to the south, but if they are, it'd be a good place to start. They typically range from $8 to $17 a bottle.

You should be able to find Lambrusco in Arkansas -- Riunite is pretty widely available and should fit your bill for a sweeter red wine.

Welcome to the wine board.

- mrdutton - 02-10-2008

You might like to try a Beaujolais from France. The wine is made from the Gamay grape and it is hardly tannic and very fruit forward. Enough so that this dry red wine can fool you into thinking it is sweet.

There are a number of wines produced from Gamay with the appellation Beaujolais or Beaujolais Villages. One of the more "popular" producers is Georges Duboeuf. Try his Beaujolais Villages.

If you like the Beaujolais Villages, then you could also try some of these wines (all beaujolais) in this order from light bodied to more medium to fuller bodied:

Brouilly
Regnie
Fleurie
Morgon
Moulin-a-Vent

Enjoy!!

- psyko4cats - 02-10-2008

Thank you for your help.I am close enough to the MO line to be able to go there for wine. Right now the money for wine is very limited, but I will try some you have recommended.
Thank you

- dananne - 02-10-2008

In southern MO (and maybe even in Arkansas, I'm not sure), you should be able to find wines from St. James Winery in most grocery stores. When traveling recently, I saw them everywhere I looked, from Rolla to Springfield to Joplin. Look for Velvet Red or Country Red. If those are too sweet for you, then try Friendship School Red (semi-dry). All are comfortably under $10. Most of the wineries around Branson make wines with varying levels of sweetness, so they'd be a good bet, too, given your area of Arkansas. The Beaujolais suggested are great to move into -- they're dry wines, but the fruitiness makes them seem "sweet." We've loved just about every Beaujolais Cru or Beaujolais VIllages that has passed our lips.

Again, welcome. Let us know what you try and what you like, and we'll try to point you in the right directions.

- psyko4cats - 02-11-2008

I will start to try these as soon as I have the money to buy them. right now I have a part of a bottle of Stone Hill Winerys Concord and a box of Villa delicious Red(tastes nasty to me) For now Ihave to find a job so I can get thies wines. Another wine that I really would like to try is at www.vampire.com. If any one has tryed these please let me know.

- dananne - 02-11-2008

On the Romanian vampire wine, great packaging, not so great contents. It seemed rustic and vegetal, but that's just IMHO.