WineBoard
Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir (/thread-19522.html)

- loreliew - 03-01-1999

I have a presentation to make to my peers on Pinot Noir. We'll be comparing Louis Jadot, Rodney Strong, B.V. Carneros, Meridian, Fetzer Barrel Select and Van Duzer. I am unable to taste all these wines at one time prior to the tasting and would like any of your professional comments on anything which would be important to take notice of at the tasting. I just found this website as I'm new to the internet, you all are great!! Thanks

- Bucko - 03-01-1999

These producers vary quite a bit in the style of Pinot that they bottle. I would concentrate on the vast range of styles that Pinot can be made in - try to appreciate each for its own showing. Do compare them to one another, because you WILL have a favorite style, and this may lessen your appreciation for what the vintner is trying to say.

Bucko

- Woodman - 03-02-1999

I think Bucko's got it right here. Most of these are "everyday" kinds of pinot noirs, not the "trophy" wines that get rave reviews. They are likely to be good solid values and, as such, you are not likely to get a wine that is either awful or horribly disappointing for the price -- so concentrate on stylistic (and regional) differences. Take note of where the grapes were grown and the flavors you get -- strong herbal notes in anything from Santa Barbara would be one prediction from here.

My question for you is, which Jadot wine are you including? Jadot makes and markets everything from something labeled "pinot noir" to Grand Cru bottlings that cost over $100 apiece. Your choice of Jadot wine will definitely influence the outcome of this tasting.

- loreliew - 03-02-1999

Thank you very much for your quick response, we will be sampling the basic Louis Jadot Pinot Noir, not any of the single vineyards. My focus is differentiating on the type of soils, elevation, and of course the winemakers style, during the tasting. As well as the areas needed to be exposed on wine lists for restauranteurs. I have seen a great interest in pinot noirs at wine tastings and chose to focus on this for "by the glass" programs in the mid-range accounts who may only offer the basic Cab. Sauv., Chard., etc. One more question please, pinot noir has been referred to as the headache wine, because of the fickleness of the grape, are they using more sulfites which creates this, or is it a tale? If I drink too much of anything I get the dreaded headache, but I don't experience this so with pinot noir alone.

Lorelie

- amshih - 03-02-1999

I suspect the "headache grape" nickname for pinot noir is because it is such a pain to grow and vinify, not because it causes headaches (at least not for the wine drinker -- for the winemaker, it's another story I'm sure).

- loreliew - 03-04-1999

Thank you for your response to my notice, I better have it all together, and with your help I investigated the type of soils and winemakers backgrounds for assistance in styles. Thanks again and I will be back!!