WineBoard
wines as wedding gift - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: wines as wedding gift (/thread-19516.html)

- nicolem - 05-30-2001

I would like to give several bottles of wines to my fiance as a wedding present. I would like each bottle to be opened at special occasions in our life together, ie: first house, first baby all the way up to our 50th wedding. We just started tasting different wines and my fiance likes both red and white. I need some recommendations for wines that would be good after many years. I'm looking to spend no more than $50 per bottle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. we are getting married Aug. 25, 2001. So I need to start collecting soon.

- Innkeeper - 05-30-2001

Hi Nicolem, and welcome to the Wine Board. We sincerely hope your upcoming wedding will be the most special event of your life. As far as your presents are concerned, we think we can be very helpful.

The most splendidly consistent wine in the world is Brunello Di Montalcino. The only problem is they take a long time to age. The 1995's are on the market now. They will be ready to drink in 2010. The easiest one to find and an excellent one at that is Castello Banfi at around $50. You can also contact WineExpo@earthlink.net for one of the best ones available that he picked up at a fire sale (actually a business failure). If I had my life to live all over again, I would pick up a Brunello every year and drink one on our anniversary at its fifteen year point.

In the meantime you could lay down some Bordeaux for the earlier events. St Julien from 1995 or '96 is wonderful; even second bottlings such as Les Fiefs De Lagrange which will go four or five years. Daddy, Chateau Lagrange, will go ten and is still under $50.00. There are others in that price range. More available right now are the 1998's. Pomerol and St Emilion did much better than those on the other side of the river that year. Anyone you can afford that your dealer recommends should work for a seven to ten year lay down. We have had good luck with Chateau De Sales, Pomerol; and also with Chateau Puy Blanquet, St Emilion. Don't get locked in on any of these if you get other good recommendations.

As far as California Cabernet is concerned go with anything that Winoweenie or other board members recommend. Do not invest in anything else. There are some big problems with many California Cabs right now in the way they are made, and the consequent impact on their aging ability. Regardless, go with any recommendations you get here.

- barnesy - 05-30-2001

Don't forget vintage port. That will last you a few decades.

Sauternes will also last quite a while.

Barnesy

- chittychattykathy - 05-31-2001

All great information so far. I would add-
Chenin Blanc (French) for a white. Also, Ice wines & TBA's for the really long haul. (Some sherry as well.) It's best to try and buy magnums if possible, of any of the reds. This may take the bottle price to around $80-$120, but the amount of time that you can age them will be longer.

- Catch 22 - 05-31-2001

nicolem,
One important point that hasn't been covered yet is that you must have proper storage available for these wines. If you are going to buy these long-lived wines, you can't just keep them in a closet for an extended period of time and expect them to be at their best. They should be stored at a cool and constant temperature for optimum results.

- winoweenie - 06-02-2001

Hi Nicolem and welcome to the board and congrats! In the 5 year range of California wines you should have a wide range of choices as long as you stick with the 1997 vintage, which was outstanding.The best in the 25-30 range are Jos Phelps " Napa ",Sterling " Diamond mountain Ranch ",Silverado " Napa "Mondavi " Napa ",Geyser Peak " Reserve ". For the 10-15 year wines at the 30-50 level you again have a lot of choices.Lewelling " Wight Vineyard ", Liparita " Spring Mountain ",Wightman " Tri-Leopard Vineyard ", Arrowood " Estate ",Beaulieu " Tapestry " Franus " Napa ", Burgess " Vintage Selection ",Beringer " Alluvium ",Heitz " Napa ",Cafaro " Napa ", Clos Pegase " Napa ", and lots more. Your best bet is to check online with a reputable dealer like Pops' Wines.Port or Ice-Wines are the best bets for the over 20. AND TAKE THE ADVICE OF CATCH22, WITHOUT PROPER STORAGE put the money in stocks. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 06-02-2001).]