WineBoard
MARGAUX 1998 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: MARGAUX 1998 (/thread-19482.html)

- Tiffy - 12-15-2006

A friend recently gave me a Margaux 1998. Do we need to open it right away, or can we keep it for how long? And how much does that really cost? Thanks!

- wondersofwine - 12-15-2006

Welcome to the board. That's a generous friend! Robert Parker's vintage chart lists this as still tannic and youthful--need to hold longer (maybe 4 years?) It was rated as an above average vintage for Margaux wines but not an outstanding vintage.
I'm not sure of the price. If you are talking about the real first growth, Chateau Margaux Grand Cru Classe (not just a wine from the Margaux district in France), I would venture a guess of about $250-$300 based on what some other 1998 Bordeaux cost and a price of $575 for a bottle of 1983 Chateau Margaux (more mature and considered an outstanding vintage).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 12-15-2006).]

- wdonovan - 12-18-2006

1982?

- winoweenie - 12-18-2006

WOW posted the right vintage there WD. Margaux was the WOV (Wine of the Vintage) in this spotty year and actually made a better bottle of juice than they did in 82. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 12-18-2006).]

- Glass_A_Day - 12-18-2006

Parker gave it a 91 and said the following:

The 1998 Margaux's color is a dense ruby/purple. The wine is tannic and austere, but elegant, with notes of asphalt, blackberries, acacia flowers, and sweet, toasty oak. Subtle, rich, nicely-textured, and medium-bodied, it is built for the long haul. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2030.

PS Verne,

I know you never agree with the critics, and here is yet another example. Parker gave the 82 a 94 and said:

Of all the 1982 first-growths, Chateau Margaux has been the most variable from bottle to bottle. At the Philadelphia tasting, the bottle was maderized, the only truly bad bottle in the impeccable collection assembled by local wine connoisseur Randy Feinberg.

From my cellar, the 1982 Margaux exhibits a dark, murky ruby/purple color with a touch of lightening at the edge. Earthy, truffle, black fruit, underbrush, cedar, and spice aromas are followed by a ripe, full-bodied, chunky wine. This fleshy, powerful effort is somewhat disjointed and rustic at present. Interestingly, I have had bottles that merited nearly perfect scores, and others that were typical of this tasting. Anticipated maturity: 2005-2035.

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 12-18-2006).]

- winoweenie - 12-18-2006

I had a box of the 82 and for the 1st time in my life decided to bail in 95. Trasded them dudes for a like number of Pichon Lalande 82. Have just finished the last of the 83s and can assure that IMHO noone on the planet made a better 83. WW

- wdonovan - 12-19-2006

Everyday...... that's when I learn somethin'.

- wondersofwine - 12-19-2006

I found a website where a panel tasted both '82 and '83 Margaux at the same session and all but one member of the panel preferred the '83.

- winoweenie - 12-19-2006

Smart Panel. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-20-2006

They must have read your TN'S, ww.

- winoweenie - 12-20-2006

KC you know noone gives a deep-pocket jacket about ole' leather-tongues' tasting notes. WW