WineBoard
Another Ageing Lesson - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Another Ageing Lesson (/thread-19449.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-27-2001

We sort of lost control of the last thread on ageing, so I thought I'd start a new one. For our novice friends, I would like to walk you through an ageing decision.

This morning we received a shipment from Southern Hemisphere Wines in LA. Included were two bottles of 1999 Warrabilla, Victoria, Petite Sirah. On the back label the winemaker says, "My wines are soft enough to enjoy now, but will benefit considerably from ageing." That sent my antennae atwitter.

Then I remembered the last time I opened a petite sirah prematurely: http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum22/HTML/000120.html Nothing like being called a baby killer by the moderator. The rest of the '98 Tobin James PS is tagged for '06!

So, when should the Warrabilla be opened. Well the winemaker is right, not only his, but most Australian wine tends to be softer than their counterparts from California. Therefore, since I have the '98 California timed for '06, will give the '99 Australian a two year benifit of the doubt, and time the Warrabilla that arrived today for '05.

Hey that's only a little more than three years from now, and I've got storage facilities.

- winedope - 11-27-2001

just another question from a novice- what will happen if you open such a bottle early(aside from being called a babykiller)? I understand that the wine may not be at its full potential, but what other consequences, if any, are there ? Are you just wasting your money if you do this?

- Innkeeper - 11-27-2001

With PS you could lose a coat of enamel off your teeth. A red wine needs ageing if the tannin in it is raw or coarse. The wine will taste very astringent. The tannin will smooth out over time if the wine is in balance, that is it has enough acid and other components to do the job.

If you buy a case of wine, what you suggest is not a bad idea. First you peg the earliest date it could be ready, and try it then. Then you check once a year until you feel it has peaked. Then finish all of it that year or next.

If you look at several of WW's postings on the cabernet thread, you will see that he does exactly that. He also lets the rest of us know when he thinks a given wine will be ready.

If you only buy two or three bottles of something though, its damned if you do, and damned if you don't. So, the best bet is just to make your most educated guess and go for it. Most wine is very forgiving though, and will show its best over a couple or few years.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-27-2001).]

- winedope - 11-27-2001

thanks, IK. I appreciate the input. I don't mind spending some bucks for a good bottle, but I don't have the budget to experiment on a large scale, so all the help I can get before purchasing is great. I don't have the facility to properly store a large amount (ie.-a case) of wine, so I end up buying a bottle or two at a time. While I'm here, are there any tricks to knowing which reds are generally ok to drink fairly young? (esp. for those of us who lack storage space).

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 11-27-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 11-27-2001

All Beaujolais, dolcetto, barbera, Salice Salentino, and Cotes Du Rhone. Most pinot noir, cabernet franc, and American Syrah. Just about any red that costs less than $15. In other words, most of the red wine produced in the world is ready to drink upon release. Two of my favorite wines are Easton Barbera and Tobin James Syrah. Am drinking the '99 bottlings of both right now, and they are the current releases. Both are $18.00 wines, mentioned only because they are quality wines, drinkable upon release.

- winedope - 11-28-2001

thanks again, IK. Haave made note and will look for these locally. WD

- Drew - 11-28-2001

I generally like Zinfandel and Aussie Shiraz young. The Zin for the upfront fruit, though I've had several aged zins that were memorable. Aussie shiraz, IMHO, doesn't seem to integrate the oak as well when aged, just the opposite happens and you end up with OAK MONSTERS! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Drew

- leslie423 - 11-29-2001

Hi Innkeeper, You mentioned in the other thread that white wines which are especially sweet will age ok. I have a bottle of 1998 Mendelson Pinot Gris (blended with Brandy) and have thought it would keep well, but wouldn't mind hearing your opinion. Would this be considered sweet enough to withstand some aging? (It's a pretty costly little bottle and we're "saving" it for an appropriate occassion.) Thanks in advance for any consideration to the question.

- Innkeeper - 11-29-2001

Hi Leslie, and welcome to the Wine Board. Sounds like you have a fortified wine as in Port or Sherry. These will keep for some time before being opened. Once opened, you should keep in refrigerator and drink up within a week or so.

- leslie423 - 11-30-2001

Thanks IK! And thanks for the warm welcome.

I don't think we'll have a problem drinking it within a week - once we finally decide to open it!