WineBoard
New and confused - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: New and confused (/thread-19440.html)

- harvdzny - 06-25-2003

My husband and I have just started in the wine arena. I received a catalog with different wine decanters for sale. How do I know which wines should be placed into a decanter? They also sold different types of aerators and funnels. What are these used for?

Now for the really dumb question. Which wines should be refrigerated? I always thought that red wines were to be served at room temperature and white and blush should be chilled. Is that correct?

Also, we tend to favor red wines. What is a good year for Cabernet? How about Merlot?

Last but not least, how do the Pinot Noir's and Pinot Grigio's stand up to the test? Are there any good ones?

Any information would be a great help. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Darci

- Innkeeper - 06-25-2003

Hi Darci, and welcome to the Wine Board. We hardly ever order anything out of those catalogs. You should have a decanter with a large mouth. The best way to get one is to buy a bottle of Paul Masson wine, and use it for cooking. Keep the bottle and use it as a decanter.

You decant for two reasons. First is to separate red wine from any collected sediment. You find this in older reds, and in certain earthy peasant wines such as some Italian Dolcettos. The second reason is to aerate the red wine. This sometimes opens a red that isn't quite open yet. We decant just about all of our red wines for one or both of these reasons, though most of the time it is simply for aeration.

White and rose' wines should be chilled down to around 55 degrees. Sparkling and white dessert wines should be chilled further. Red wines that are stored above 65 degrees (and they shouldn't be for very long), should be cooled down to 65 degrees.

1997 was the best recent year for California cabernet and merlot. 2000 was the best recent year for Bordeaux which is a blend of cabernet and merlot.

Pinot noir is the primary grape in Red Burgundy (talking about wine from Burgundy not "Hearty Burgundy). It is also produced varietally in California, Oregon, Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere. It is usually more food friendly that cabernet and merlot which are mostly steak and heavy roast wines. For example tonight we are having grilled pork chops, and will have a pinot with them. Pinot is short for pinot noir.

Pinot Grigio is the Italian version of pinot gris or the grey pinot. Some California vinters are making pinot gris in the Italian style and calling it Pinot Grigio. For a good example of the Italian version look for the one from Ritratti.

There is also pinot blanc or Pinot Bianco in Italy. Those from Alsace are excellent.

- harvdzny - 06-26-2003

Thank you so much for all of the good information. I plan on picking up that book that everyone is talking about, "Wine for Dummies". Any additional information you think I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards!!!

Darci

- Innkeeper - 06-26-2003

"Great Wine Made Simple" by Andrea Immer, gives you a hands on, or should say lips on, guide to wine appreciation. Her companion piece "Great Tastes Made Simple" is a comprehensive, but easy to digest (little play on words there) tome for matching wine and food. Just to show what a fan I am, her slim easy to carry "Wine Buying Guide for Everyone" talks about wines in all price categories that are widely available and tend to stay steady vintage in and vintage out. I think Andrea is putting out the best printed material on wine these days. Having said that, I just recently bought "Italian Wine For Dummies."