WineBoard
Importing wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Importing wine (/thread-19423.html)

- MP1 - 01-23-2004

I am looking to import some wine to sell probably from France.
Has anybody got any tips/advice?
Also looking for good wine producers

- winoweenie - 01-23-2004

Hi MP1 and welcome to the board. If you don't have enough knowledge about wines that you ask for sources on this board you REALLY need to find another avenue for your efforts. People with 20 to 30 years of experience in the business and with all the proper connections go busted monthly in this business. Sorry. WW

- MP1 - 01-24-2004

Thankyou for your helpful response!
As this was my first visit to this website i wasn't familiar with the different boards.
I am only looking to import a small amount to supplement my income so don't worry about me going bust.

- wineguruchgo - 01-24-2004

Hello MP1,

In the calendar year of 2002 I worked for a large French Importer who did large volume here in the US.

I was laid off because the difference between the dollar and the Euro was costing the company $80,000.00 per month!

This really isn't the time to start importing wines into US. Espically French since so many people are still PO'd becuase of the Iraq thing.

I also agree with WW, you have to do a lot of research and have a ton of money in order to start and importing business. If it were me I would concentrate on some of the smaller CA wineries (no customs issues)or import from Italy or Spain.

- Innkeeper - 01-24-2004

You might to look at a different approach. Unless you not only know a lot about wine, but also travel back and forth prequently to and from the region(s) you are importing from, you chances of success are minimal. Once you get the wine into the country you then have to distribute it. This could be the most difficult part because most states don't allow you to do both (import and distribute). I think you would have more success by become a small regional distributor. In that role you can find small importors that you can help with distribution. We have two such operations in our rural economic area right now that are doing just fine, thank you.

- wineguruchgo - 01-24-2004

"I am only looking to import a small amount to supplement my income"

Who are you looking to sell to? Friends & Family or businesses?

We have a few really small distributors here in Chicago that the President is the salesperson is the delivery person.

I'm sure each state has laws governing this. I would check there first before buying a bottle.

Again, I would stick within the US. Much easier.

- MP1 - 02-02-2004

I live in the UK hence why I am importing from France!
I worked for a wine merchant previously who imported from Italy so have an idea about the basics.
Might try a different website if everyone is from America

- wineguruchgo - 02-02-2004

Sorry! When you don't provide us with your location we just assume that you are from the US.

Hope we didn't offend you.

- Kcwhippet - 02-03-2004

There are a few of us on the Wine Board from the UK. Hopefully, we'll hear from one or two.