WineBoard
What wine goes with a Burger and Fries? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What wine goes with a Burger and Fries? (/thread-19381.html)

- Cowboyin Blake - 04-07-2005

What wine goes with a Burger and Fries? I'm serious...i was at a chain restaurant and i was thinking about having a glass of wine...but i couldnt figure what would go... So i guess the bigger question is, What does one do when they are at a bar or a less fancy and stuffy eatery and want to drink some half decent wine. Should I ask what type of wine they have and names? Should i stick with beer? HELP!!!!

- wondersofwine - 04-07-2005

Several red wines might fill the bill--consider Zinfandel, a softer Cabernet Sauvignon or Beaujolais. I think IK likes Beaujolais with burgers.

- Innkeeper - 04-07-2005

WOW got it right. If you can find an '03 Beaujolais Villages you will find it almost as big as a Zin or Cab. Also recommend Cru Beaujolais from earlier vintages such as Fleurie, and Brouilly. All these are made from the Gamay grape of various levels of quality. Ground beef and Gamay is a match made in heaven.

- wondersofwine - 04-07-2005

The other problem is that the chain restaurant may not serve wines or may have a limited list. But give it a try, and you can also try Beaujolais Cru or Villages the next time you have burgers at home.

- Innkeeper - 04-07-2005

To open another can of worms, we have found that ordering wine by the glass in chain restaurants that do have wine (Applebees, Fridays, et al) is fraught with danger. It is apt to a. be the bottom of a bottle that has been open for a week or so; b. arrive at your table at around 80 degrees F, requiring you to fetch a cube or two of ice out of your water (that you had to ask for); and c. be of inferior quality to begin with. Maybe c. should be a., but you get my drift.

- wineguruchgo - 04-07-2005

Beer.

Always cold, always fresh, generally decent quality! hehe!

- hotwine - 04-07-2005

We also use Rhone wines, Syrah, Shiraz, Mourvedre and Zins for burgers at home, but ordering such by the glass at a burger joint is asking for trouble. I'd stick with beer.

- Cowboyin Blake - 04-08-2005

I figured as much....beer all the way then huh? haha...Anyway thanks for the advice guys!

- Glass_A_Day - 04-08-2005

I agree on the Zin advice. I love a spicy zin with a well seasoned burger or pizza.

- jmcginley1 - 04-10-2005

I've spent the last 4 years working at various levels of the resturant food chain, and here is my advice:

If you are at a restaurant that doesn't do a solid amount of wine business, a nice lager is your best bet. You aren't risking getting a day old(or, and I am not kidding here, I worked at a burger place with 20 wines by the glass that did almost no wine business) a 3 WEEK OLD glass of wine.

That being said, if you are at a restaurant with a solid wine business, look above for advice. I agree.

[This message has been edited by jmcginley1 (edited 04-10-2005).]

[This message has been edited by jmcginley1 (edited 04-10-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 04-11-2005

Welcome to the board jmcginley. Hope to see you posting agains.