WineBoard
FINDING A NICE CHARD - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: FINDING A NICE CHARD (/thread-19373.html)

- samsweet - 08-20-2000

RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN DRINKING COPPOLA DIAMOND SERIES AND STEELE (MENDICINO)CHARDS. I'M LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE EXCITING TO ENJOY AND STOCK IN MY CELLAR. I'VE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT BECKMANS AND NEWTON (UNFILTERED). IS IT WORTH MY TIME?

- mrdutton - 08-21-2000

Welcome to the wine board!

I am sorry that I am not able to help you, since I am not familiar with Chardonnay from Beckman (they are a Rhone Ranger so it might be their Chard is quite good!) or with Newton (but I've heard that wines from the Spring Mountain area can be pretty good).

I am sure that someone here can provide the informatio you seek.

- winoweenie - 08-21-2000

SAMSWEET, Welcome to the board.If you were asking about the Newton CABERNET "Unfiltered" I could vouch that this is a superb wine. I`m sure that their SW is a fine wine based on the quality of their reds. winoweenie

- samsweet - 08-21-2000

WINOWEENIE,
I RECENTLY TRIED THE NEWTON UNFILTERED CHARD AT RESTAURANT LAST NIGHT. IT WAS ABSOLUTLY WONDERFUL. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!!

- Zinner - 08-27-2000

Perhaps the Beckmans you're looking for is Beckmen Vineyards in the Santa Barbara wine country of California. Yes, they have a lovely Chardonnay and a food-friendly zippy Sauvignon Blanc.

They have 365 hillside acres with limestone soils like those found in France in their Purisima Mountain Vineyard. Their Syrah is absolutely superb. And the Cuvee Le Bec(Grenache/Mourvedre/Syrah) has a darn high yum factor too. Juicy, slightly jammy raspberry and blueberry spiked by peppery spice.

If you want to stick to Chardonnay and want to try some from that area, it would be hard to beat those from Jim Clendenen at Au Bon Climat. And for more Rhones, check out Qupe...another winemaker, Bob Lindquist, working out of the same facility.

Good luck!

- mrdutton - 08-28-2000

Samsweet you might also consider some French Chardonnay! You might find it interesting to compare the French version to the California version.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 08-28-2000).]

- Jackie - 08-28-2000

Winoweenie,

What is "SW"? You use this a lot but I have no idea what you're referring to. Pls. enlighten....

Thanks,

Jackie

- Innkeeper - 08-28-2000

Hate to tell you Jackie, but it's SISSY WHITES.

- Jackie - 08-28-2000

Thanks for your reply Innkeeper!

I wonder how many "novices" wondered about S.W's... We'd like to de-mystify wine for all newcomers in this forum, especially.

Jackie

- chittychattykathy - 08-28-2000

Of course he'll need to change that SW tune a bit now, as WW such a fan of the red half-breed, Cabernet Sauvignon! Ooch!

- samsweet - 09-01-2000

THE LOOSE TERM "SW" FOR CHARDONNAY AND OTHER WHITE WINES ARE SILLY. IF YOU COULD RECOMMEND A NICE RED FOR HALIBUT IN A LEMON SAFFRON SAUCE I'LL TAKE IT. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

[This message has been edited by samsweet (edited 09-01-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 09-01-2000

Kenwood or Sonoma Creek Pinot Noir.

- winoweenie - 09-01-2000

Sorry Jackie, din`t meen to mystify no-ones. We`ve been using the term for so long in bantering that I didn`t realize some of the members on the novice board mite not be aware of it`s meaning. And Samsweet, Any comment I mite make can always be taken with a grain. I love the grape but poke fun at the pomposity some folk anoite it wif`. By-the-by, Pinots are marvelous any-time you`re using exotic spices on anything. CCK, Know you`ll have a drop-dead time on your up-coming trip. Notice I dint offer my expertise on the trip. I`ve checked, and have been assured by Alex, Myron, And Jack and all the great winemakers past that the Cabernet has converted ALL the white attributes of the Sauvignon to RED as it is the dominant gene. Thank the Gods we don`t have to employ Bio-Tech. winoweenie