WineBoard
Is anything worthwhile under $10 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Is anything worthwhile under $10 (/thread-19369.html)

- Englishman1 - 10-17-2006

Hi folks, complete wine newcomer here and also new to this forum. (Please forgive my naivette).

I'm interested to get your opinions on if there are any wines worthwhile that are under $10 a bottle.

I see all kinds of cheaper wines in my local store, mostly from Australia I believe, with names like Black Opal, Yellow Tail, Little Penguin etc...

I don't usually have more than $10 to spend on a bottle so if there are any reasonable brands I'd be very grateful for your advice! Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2006

Hi Englishman and welcome to the Wine Board. Black Opel and Little Penguin are very good value wines. There is also a lot of good stuff from Spain, Portugal, South America, Southern Italy and France, and other regions where $10 wines of excellent quality can be found. Recommend that you peruse our Best Buys/Steals and Deals thread and use to "Go" back button to go way back. There is much of what you are looking for there.

- dananne - 10-17-2006

Like IK, I'd also say to take a look at the Best Buys thread, but I'd also suggest several wines that we enjoy on a consistent basis at or below $10.

For Spanish Garnacha (Grenache), try Vina Alarba and Las Rocas. Luzon and Castano make nice Monastrells, also.

A sub-$10 Aussie wine that we enjoy frequently is d'Arenberg's "Stump Jump," which is a Rhone blend. Pillar Box Red is great value, too.

For other Rhone-style options, you can usually get Guigal's Cotes du Rhone for around $10. Ca del Solo "Big House" red or white options are sub-$10. Cline makes a decent Syrah, as does Snoqualmie, Columbia Crest, and Chateau Ste. Michelle from Washington state.

My favorite Pinot Noir for under $10 is Queen of Hearts. We drink lots of it.

Again, though, the Best Buys thread will have many of these and other options.

Welcome to the board from a WI native.

- TheEngineer - 10-17-2006

Yeah lots! Definitely look at the best buy list! My sub $10 list includes:

(1) Los Rocas Grenacha ($7 and love it!!)
(2) Sea Ridge (sometines sub $4)
(3) Weingut Huber Gruner Veltliner ($9)
(4) Jackson Triggs, Collectors Selection Shiraz ($10)
(5) Domaine Des Nouelles Rose D'anjou ($9)
(6) Bogle Vineyards (anything..)
(7) Domaine De La Citidelle, Cuvee du Gouverneur ($8)
(8) Tintero Moscato D'Asti, Garantita, Sori' Gramella ($9)

And many many others. The list above I think is fun/interesting. Ranges from sparkling Moscato's to roses to some very serious wines, most can be had for under $10.

- VouvrayHead - 10-17-2006

My 2 cents--
Some to look for

Vina Alarba
Borsao
Bogle most anything
Pillar Box Red
Stephen Vincent Crimson
Cline Zinfandel
Big House Red
Masciarelli Montepulciano

- Englishman1 - 10-18-2006

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. And I will definitely check out the best buys thread!

- TheEngineer - 10-18-2006

Come back and let us know which ones you found that you liked!