WineBoard
What wines go with what? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What wines go with what? (/thread-19336.html)

- ahohl69 - 07-05-2001

I need some help. I am preparing an elegant lobster dinner for my girlfriend and don't know what wines go with seafood!! Also what types of wine go with what kind of desserts? Like German chocolate cake, key lime pie, cheescake??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 07-05-2001

Hi Ahohl, and welcome to the Wine Board. We like a bone dry, crisp riesling with lobster, such as those from Alsace, the American Northwest, or special blends like Bonny Doon's Pacific Rim . Other options include those wines from the upper and lower Loire Region. Sancerres from the upper, and Muscadet from the lower go fine. Vouvray from the upper Loire, and bone dry American Chenin Blanc if you can find it, will also do.

Do not get any American or Australian Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc unless your wine merchant signs an affidavit that it has not been subjected to oak. Oak and shellfish in general, and lobster in particular are like oil and water.

For dessert, get a dessert wine. Port goes fine with most of what you mentioned. For an American wine, look for one of the increasingly available late harvest zinfandels.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-05-2001).]

- cpurvis - 07-06-2001

"Bone dry, crisp" riesling from the American Northwest? IK, do tell the specifics...vintner, etc...I haven't found any.

The Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Riesling would be a very good choice w/ lobster.

cp

- Innkeeper - 07-06-2001

Argyle, Chehalem, Rex Hill, and Washington Hills for starters. Did forget to mention there are great Dry Rieslings from the Finger Lakes Region of New York if you can find them.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-07-2001).]

- cpurvis - 07-06-2001

Thanks IK. I've passed over the ones you mentioned based on my general experience w/ other NW rieslings. All except Wash. Hills are standard fare on our grocery store shelves. Will trust your reliable tastes & try a few more. cp

BTW, word at the recent viticulture seminar here was that riesling vines are bein' yanked out in favor of other more "marketable" varietals in Oregon.

- Innkeeper - 07-06-2001

Washington Hills has a Dry Riesling (which is outstanding) and a Regular One (read sweet). So look for the Dry if you want it with shellfish. Incidentally the "Dry" is .06% R.S. which, in most cases, is "bone dry" enough for most rieslings.

- barnesy - 07-06-2001

Rex Hill's riesling is very nice, fruity and crisp. If you can find it, get the Maresh Vineyard Riesling on the Rex Hill label. The grapes from this piece of land are great.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 07-07-2001

Just picked up Barboursville Riesling, Virginia--dry, minerally, quite nice. The winery is owned by Zonin, from Friuli Venezia Giulia.

Cpurvis, terrible news about OR. pulling out the Riesling vines. Here in NY I was told that it is impossible to sell Riesling in a Manhattan retail shop. I have reordered Riesling from three Finger Lakes wineries on a regular monthly basis since December. Things are "marketed" nationally, but wine is "sold" locally by a sales staff. The wine industry thinks nationally, and that will be the downfall of those who are not conglomerates.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-07-2001).]