WineBoard
0 - 3? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 0 - 3? (/thread-19327.html)

- Colezig - 05-09-2002

Hi,
I am applying for a job as a sales clerk, in a beer and wine store; which requires "wine knowledge an asset". I am looking for someone to share with me their knowledge or to just give me a few tips on what to put in the cover letter, to impress this employer. Also, 0 is a dry wine, right....and what is the highest of #r'ed wines you can get, 3?....Or what are some basic wine facts that I should know going into speak with the employer?....
As you can see, I am not that knowledgable in the wine dept. I have been to some web-sites trying to learn some new facts. I found this site and thought, it wouldn't hurt to ask someone who 'really knows' for help.
I'd appreciate anyones help as soon as possible as I'm writing a resume right now..You could email me at islandbon@hotmail.com
Thank you ..Colezig

- Drew - 05-10-2002

Colezig, it's taken me years to assemble enough wine knowledge to be dangerous and wouldn't even begin to classify myself as an expert. Why would you want to dup your perspective employer to get hired only to risk a future firing for lack of knowledge? Wow em' with your good working track record, ask if they'd hire you on a temp basis to see your good work ethics and then, as another esteemed member of this board sez, "work your patootie off". You can learn wine basics in a short period of time. Several other esteemed members of this board are shop owners and maybe they'll chime in with their expert thoughts.

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 05-10-2002

It's the old trade off between theory and practice. I've been interested in wine (drinking, reading, wine tastings, etc.) for over thirty years. A few years ago I went to work in a wine shop, and I've learned more in those few years than in all the previous years. So, in my case at least, first hand, practical experience has been worth more for my wine education than all the books I have. Don't try to cover up your lack of knowledge with some hastily acquired buzz words. You'll be found out quickly and that will not help your employment situation at all. It wouldn't hurt to get a decent reference book to help advance your knowledge base. One good one is Wine for Dummies, which is quite good at presenting wine in a non-condescending tone, and it doesn't presume you already have a decent wine sense like many books do. And, by all means, ask a lot of questions, but not ones that look to have someone give you the totality of wine knowledge in twenty five words or less.

- Innkeeper - 05-10-2002

It is still easier in this day and age, to read a book, than to stare at a computer. One that will give you real, not superficial, knowledge in an hour or two is in the 101 series. It is called "101 Essential Tips - Wine." It is written by our own Tom Stevenson, is 72 pages long, and costs $4.95 U.S. It has ISBN 9-7894-1464-3, and is available at Amazon and other sources. It and Drew's advice will get you along your way.

- Thomas - 05-10-2002

All I can say is ditto. If you really want the job, then it is your responsibility to develop the passion. Nobody can give you that, you have to earn it by (excuse the pun) immersing yourself in the subject of wine.

If I were an employer (and I am) and I found out that my so-called wine knowledgeable employee duped me, I would be quite upset.

- winoweenie - 05-10-2002

Heck Fire.... He gets upset when my checks bounce. WW