WineBoard
Australian Reds and Whites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Australian Reds and Whites (/thread-19252.html)

- smoothred - 01-17-2003

I've decided to post on this board due to the simplicity of the question:

What is everyone's list of favorite Australian Wines? Red and White...

I'm interested to know.

- Innkeeper - 01-17-2003

Hi Smoothred, and welcome to the Wine Board. Shiraz and Unwooded Chardonnay.

- joeyz6 - 01-17-2003

Ditto.

- smoothred - 01-17-2003

Hmm... I mean moreso in the range of brands. However I do also agree that the Shiraz tend to be very nice and, I suppose, distict, especially the Hunter Valley Shiraz'.

Any comments?

Cheers!

- wondersofwine - 01-17-2003

I don't have much experience with the whites. Do like the Greg Norman Limestone Coast Chardonnay. I have several favorite reds in different price ranges. Have tried and enjoyed at a tasting but can't afford to buy the Veritas "Hanish" Shiraz and Three Rivers Shiraz. Have purchased and greatly enjoy Jones "LJ" Shiraz, Kay "Hillside" Shiraz, Parson's Flat Shiraz/Cabernet blend, Henry's Drive Cabernet and Cabernet Reserve (the Parson's Flat and Henry's Drive being mid-priced efforts of Sparky Marquis). Also love on the lower-priced end, Sarah's Blend (Sarah Marquis blend of cabernet, shiraz and merlot), and Marquis-Phillips cabernet. I am awed by the possibilities from Australia and the reasonably priced offerings.

- dananne - 01-18-2003

My favorites from Australia include Coriole's McLaren Vale and Redstone bottlings, Mt. Langi Ghiran's Langi and Billi Billi Creek, Charles Melton's Nine Popes and Rose of Virginia, Tim Adams's The Fergus, and d'Arenberg's Footbolt and Stump Jump (great everyday wine).

- Drew - 01-18-2003

Haven't dabbled too much with the big boys but have enjoyed the following mid to low level priced wines.

Pirramimma
Marquis-Phillips
Greg-Norman
Australian Domaine Wines
Barossa Valley Estate
Bridgewater Mill (Petaluma)
Penny's Hill
Fox Creek J.S.M.
Peter Lehmann Barossa
Hill of Content
Penfolds, 389 and Koonunga Hill
Rosemount
Shearwater Shiraz
Veritas
Yalumba

....and probably a bunch more I can't remember.

Drew

- stevebody - 01-18-2003

Second, STRONGLY, the mention of the Peter Lehmann wines. They have glorious stuff in every price range, from that amazing and affordable Cab and Shiraz (really one of the best and most consistent and COMPLEX Shiraz to come out of Australia) for around $20, all the way to the Clancy's Gold at about $25. If there's a better $25 wine out there, vintage to vintage, I've missed it. Their upper tier is flat-damn fabulous. The Mentor blend isw silky, sophisticated and delicious at about $42 and the Stonewell Shiraz, about $90, is simply one of the two or three best wines I've ever put in my face. It's s spice rack of aromas, flavors, and undertones, from roses to apricots(!) to blackberry pie to espresso. I swooned when I drank it and do every time.

Also wonderful is the Charles Melton stuff, nearlt everything - including the Trumps budget line - from Charles Cimicky (his signature Shiraz is to die for!), the quirky white wonderful Scrubby Rise from Wirra-Wirra, and hundreds more. And they're getting better every year.

- Innkeeper - 01-18-2003

For your white look for St Andrews, Chervolo, Unwooded Chardonny.