WineBoard
Next Morning - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Next Morning (/thread-19078.html)

Pages: 1 2

- newtoowine - 02-16-2006

One thing I am learning from wine is the next morning can be rough. I have noticed that if I have 4 or more glasses in an evening the headache is there the next morning. Since I'm just starting out my enthusiasm gets the better of me once I start trying different bottles. Any secrets to help with the headache.

- Innkeeper - 02-16-2006

Food, water, and amount. Even if you are quaffing it is a good idea to have some snack food with the wine. Otherwise have your wine with dinner. It is a good idea to have a glass of water for every glass of wine. Don't know what size glasses you are using, but it is a good idea to share your bottle with someone, or keep half for another day.

- Thomas - 02-16-2006

Four glasses at 4 ounces is a pint, is 2/3 a bottle--shouldn't be enough for a hangover, but should drink the water that IK recommends.

Four glases at 5 ounces is 4/5 a bottle--getting close to potential hangover, water is an imperative.

Four glasses at 6 ounces: congratulations, you've finished a bottle. Did you have a bottle of water too? If not, you'll be sorry...

Also, the headache could be a reaction to what's in the wine: histamines, oak.

It's definetly a bottle, not really a hangover in the normal sense but more in the sinus area, I was told anthistamine may help. Some nites it may be over indulgence, yes I always drink water along with beer or wine and this has always helped with beer but not doing as well with the wine.

- Kcwhippet - 02-16-2006

We've been told by our resident sawbones that a non-sedating antihistamine is a good thing if you have those problems. He's mentioned Allegra, and I now take one if there's going to be any volume of red wines in my near future. Since I work in a wine shop, that's a frequent occurence.

- Thraz - 02-16-2006

The magical hangover cure: two aspirins as you go to bed. Not the next morning, not an hour before bed - just before you slip into bed.

- HuckSawyer - 02-16-2006

I guess this isn't the time to start a discussion about "breakfast wines" . . .

- Innkeeper - 02-16-2006

As some of us can attest, WW likes bubbly with his breakfast, and will share it if you are around. He does drink water with it!

- Thomas - 02-16-2006

Speaking of breakfast and bubbly, the other day I attended a brunch. To whomever takes offense at what I am about to say--sorry.

What fool invented adding orange juice to sparkling wine? Even bad sparkling wine, which I suppose is the reason for the orange juice, comes through loud and clear--and maybe even badder!

Orange juice is to sparkling wine what raspberry soda would be to Bordeaux--of course, that's only my opinion...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-16-2006).]

- hotwine - 02-16-2006

Newtie, recommend you reduce your evening's consumption to only 1-2 glasses, and make those glasses 4-5 oz each. And drink them only with dinner. (The 5 oz level is just below the mid-point on a Riedl Sommelier Bordeaux stem, if that helps at all.)

Also, suggest you know the alcohol content of the wines you're consuming. We prefer those in the 12%-14% range, which rules out many from CA and Australia. And don't mix them by consuming multiple different wines at a single sitting - that's a recipe for trouble.

Moderation is the key to avoiding a problem the next day.

- Innkeeper - 02-16-2006

Foodie, I think what you had was a version of a "French 75" whereby they replaced the lemon juice with that from the orange. Had something like that forty years ago while stationed in Europe.

Thanks for the feedback, I will try the Allegra and make sure I keep the water coming. I will also work on the moderation part but I figure for the next couple of months I will just have to deal with it until I get over the beginner part. The Austarlian Shiraz is one of my favorites so I will only open 1 bottle when drinking it, (with friendS)

- Glass_A_Day - 02-16-2006

newtoowinen, I too drink a bottle or so every night. Many times I have sinus pain in the AM even if I take aspirin or plenty of water before bed. It is an allergy. Claritin D is the best cure. I take one 24 hour tab every day and have no issues. I also have found that just like most of my allergies, the one related to wine magically disappears in the spring only to return each fall.

- Thomas - 02-16-2006

Hmm GAD, have you checked on the air from your heating system?

Dust mites, mold--could be nothing to do with the wine. Wouldn' t that be good news?

Man for a minute there I thought I had a drinking problem, Since I smoke and at times have allergies maybe the wine just adds to it. Look forward to a season change at least I can still enjoy more than 1 bottle if I'm in the mood.

- Thomas - 02-16-2006

If you smoke AND have allergies, wine is the least of your problems...

- Glass_A_Day - 02-16-2006

Yes foodie, dust is a major componant as I heat with wood. No amount of cleaning seems to help. Only that first warm day when I can start keeping the windows open. It's funny, my sinuses can deal with dust or wine. However, put the two together and headach city.

I forgot I'm married also. Thanks for all the info so far. I never realized how much there is too learn about wine but so far it has been worth it. I had a bottle of Lindenman's bin 50 shiraz the other nite and noticed a coffee flavor or leather man that was wild

- winoweenie - 02-16-2006

I agree with the above advice. Since I cut back to a bottle only at lunch have found I REALLY miss my bottle at dinner. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] (What's a headache?)

- robr - 02-16-2006

"had a bottle of Lindenman's bin 50 shiraz the other nite and noticed a coffee flavor or leather man that was wild"

Cool, ain't it?