WineBoard
Serving temps for Pinot Grigio - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Serving temps for Pinot Grigio (/thread-19066.html)

- Julie@WineryatHome - 04-15-2004

This is such a great place for wine info! I conduct in-home wine tastings, and was consulting for an event last night and we had a question about serving temps for Pinot Grigio - we tasted one that generally "shows" well, but the host of the event wanted it VERY chilled (straight out of the fridge) and it seemed to really dull the flavor, almost tasted like lemon water. I've done a bit of research on this, but do you all have any suggestions on Pinot serving temps? How cold is too cold? Thanks for your help!!

- Thomas - 04-15-2004

Generally, all dry white wine should be served at 55 degrees F (not refrigerator temperature).

What you describe that happened to the flavor of the Pinot Grigio happens when a wine is too cold.

- lipwig - 04-18-2004

I agree that chilled is good, cold is bad.

We run into that a lot, people wanting us to serve their whites as cold as possible, sometimes even asking us to keep it in ice. Some casual drinkers even ask for a few ice cubes in the wine after we pour. I view this as extremely bad form, but they are the customer.

A friend recently took me out for a bottle of Dom Perignon 1993, and asked them to put it in an ice bath for a half hour before we drank it. She also kept it in an ice bath while we drank. I think we missed out on a lot of the great flavors that the chapmagne had to offer, but since she was paying the tab I kept my mouth shut (except of course to sip the bubbly).

Now back to the customers... I'd like to find the person who proposed that 'the customer is always right' and kick his/her teeth in. I also propose that we change that saying to, 'The customer is always right, but the management reserves the right to be righter.'

So in conclusion, I apologize for the senseless rambling.

Lipwig

- Thomas - 04-18-2004

lipwig,

You probably didn't miss out on the Dom flavors much. Champagne and other sparklers should be ice-cold; if not, they will taste quite acidic and the CO2 bubbles will dissipate quicker.

The two wines that should be cold are: sparkling and dessert whites. The sparkling should be real cold.

Whenever I tell waiters in restaurants that I do not want my white wine left in an ice bucket I get strange looks from them, unless I am in a wine savvy restaurant, of which there aren't enough.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-18-2004).]

- aandrawes - 05-08-2004

Have any of you guys ever tasted a monticristo (italian wine) pinot grigio? How would you rate it?

thanks,

Alex

- Brom - 05-11-2004

As you know, I do not hate to disagree.

I think you will find 55 rather too warm for white wine.

Most US refrigerators keep food around 40°F. A lot of room before you reach 55.

I think you will be much happier at 48-50°F. Keep your whites in the fridge. Remove them about 20-30 minutes before serving. They will have warmed to 48-52.

IMNHO, 55-60 is more appropriate to reds.