WineBoard
Recommendations on wines for wedding - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Recommendations on wines for wedding (/thread-19014.html)

- Twilightrose1621 - 09-26-2005

I'm getting married next June and need some to recommend some really good but inexpensive wine (under $10 cuz I need 30 bottles of each) for a red, white, and champagne. The food is Asian and most seafood (lobster, shrimp, scallops, abalone, fish) Please help.

- hotwine - 09-26-2005

Welcome to the board, Twilight, and congrats on your pending nuptials.

First, on the subject of Champagne: If you want the real thing (from France, not CA), be prepared to spend upwards of $30, closer to $40, per bottle. However, an alternative is a sparkling white wine from the Loire Valley of France, Louis Valbray NV Cuvee Reserve Saumur; looks and tastes like Champagne (except to the truly-jaded wine-heads), and only $8 at Costco.

Others will probably chime in with recs for still white wines to accompany seafood; as a default, look for an inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc.

I don't know of red wine recs to pair with that menu.

Suggest you consider the venue for your wedding reception, and its rules regarding wines served on premises; they can be very restrictive, such as requiring you to purchase wines only through their catering office, and limited to the brands/labels that have bribed their way into exclusive contracts. Pin everything down in a written contract with the facility manager well before the event, to avoid unpleasant last-minute surprises.

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2005

You might want to go with a Bogle or Dancy Bull Red Zinfandel.

- wdonovan - 09-26-2005

For bubbly, try Saint-Hilaire Blanquette de Limoux (may be called just Saint-Hilaire in the USA). It should just hit your $10 mark by the case and boy is it great for the price. French but not from Champagne, brut.
For red, you can't beat '03 Los Vascos Cabernet if you're an "old world wine" drinker like me. Hatched and bottled in Chile by the Rothschild family, this one also tastes much more valuable than it is (and fits yout budget). No comment on whites.

- Twilightrose1621 - 09-26-2005

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Hotwine-I will give those champagne a try. I'm thinking about having some friends over and let them help me with tasting.

The menu of seafood is not all in 1 course or even 3 courses, but spread in 10 different courses, so hopefully this will help with finding wines to pair.

The venue has no restriction on bringing your own alcohol as they will charge for corking fees. They charge $15 per table regardless of the number of bottles you have per table.

For a white wine, can anyone give me your opinion on a Ch Ste Michelle (Riesling)?

For reds, what would be a good Pinot Noir? Most of our friends aren't into spicy reds or sour.

Also, someone suggested to me a Bellatore Gran for a champagne. Any feedback on that?

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2005

Despite the fact that I bought the Ballatore for two of my daughters' weddings, the other bubbly suggestions are better.

Pinot would word OK; despite its' current popularity, there are some nice ones in the $10 range including Pepperwood Grove.

- newsguy - 09-26-2005

rose: i posted here a few months ago on a very good pinot noir that's $9.99 per bottle: '03 mark west central coast pinot noir. here was my tasting note:

"medium red in color. cherries lead the way of its very nice, but a tad restrained, nose. quickly joined by spices and hints of earth and toast. wonderful, rich flavors of cherries and spice, with a touch of toast and vanilla. good entry, very good midpalate and finish. it has a luscious, silky mouthfeel, with decent acidity and minimal tannin. this bottling delivers the goods, and will pair well with foods ranging from chicken and pork to burgers and even a steak. it's a steal at $9.99. drink now through '07. 89 points.

another very good $10 pinot is castle rock.

good luck and congratulations on the wedding!

- Thomas - 09-26-2005

If you can get to Santa Monica, go to WineExpo, see Roberto and he will get you all that you need for the wedding.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-26-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 09-26-2005

I agree with Newsguy's Pinot Noir suggestions. A little more expensive is the Saintsbury Garnet Pinot Noir, usually around $13-$15 (less with a case discount). The Chateau St. Michelle is a nice Riesling. Among the options of German Rieslings under $20 a bottle are Gunderloch Jean Baptiste, Lingenfelder Bird Label, and Leitz Dragon Stone (or Drachenstein).

- Kazual - 09-27-2005

Hi Twilight, and good luck with your upcoming nuptials. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] The Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling 2003, is wonderful and outstanding in my humble opinion for a wedding white selection. I just had it over this past weekend with nicely seasoned crabcakes as part of a supper menu and had a whole bottle all by myself, needless to say, needed two bottles. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] It is light, a soft-sweet, delicate, fresh, engaging and a fun-wine for such a celebration as yours!!! Just this week, I made it my house wine. Its a winner, so try it (chilled mine for just over a day) and then popped it open. You will enjoy it, based on what I've read of your comments above. Go for it! Please tell me your comments if and when you've sampled it.

[This message has been edited by Kazual (edited 09-27-2005).]

- Twilightrose1621 - 09-28-2005

Hey Kaz,

Thanks. By all the reviews I've heard from all the posts on this thread on the Ch Ste Michelle, I can't wait to try it. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to try it til next month as I am leaving the country on business. I am so excited about all the wine suggestions. I'm inviting friends over next month for a wine tasting event.