WineBoard
got a gift, now what is it? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: got a gift, now what is it? (/thread-19013.html)

- aria - 12-30-1999

A friend brought over a bottle of wine for Christmas dinner as a gift (we all ended up drinking the Lambrusco, thanks again WC!) and I have never heard of it before and am not "well read" on merlot....has anyone heard of it? What can I expect?

Heron Merlot...vin de pays d'oc...1997

- Thomas - 12-31-1999

Aria, you never heard of Merlot, or you never heard of that particular Merlot?

In any event, merlot is a grape. It is used to help soften the red wines of Bordeaux, France and it is used throughout the world as a varietal (single-grape-named wine).

If you are a fan of Lambrusco drinking Merlot will take some getting used to on your part. It is dry, and depending upon who produces it, it can be a little "cherry-like" or austere. It is generally softer than the big, bold red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel (not White Zinfandel).

- Randy Caparoso - 12-31-1999

Just so happens that the Heron Merlot is served in all of our restaurants. The grapes are sourced in the St. Chinian region of the Languedoc-Roussillon in Southern France, just a few miles from the Mediterranean and the French/Spanish Pyrenees. The American born proprietor, Laely Heron, utilizies strictly trellised vineyards, mostly in rocky limestone vineyards, to achieve brighter black cherry fruit and just a hint of the famed "garrigue" (the earthy, smoky, lavendery/resiny herb aroma and flavor) characteristics typical of wines from that part of the world.

For all this wine geek talk (sorry!), the bottom line is that you have a delicious bottle of red wine, with a little extra flavor interest that is different from the mass produced lots of California Merlots!

- Innkeeper - 12-31-1999

Does Randy or anyone else know if there are any regulations pretaining to the Vins de Pays (wines of the country) that are relatively new on the scene, responding the varietel (by varieties) bottlings from Chile, Italy, Eastern Europe, and elsewhere. Do they have to come from the country of France? What percentage of the variety has to be in the bottle? Even in our tightly regulated environment, California allows 25% of the bottle to be other stuff, and not so long ago allowed 45%. I think, by and large, the Vins de Pays have been super, but was curious about what we've actually been drinking.

- Randy Caparoso - 12-31-1999

Interesting question. First, let me tell you what I know. Vin de pays d'oc -- from the Languedoc-Roussillon -- is by far the largest vin de pays category in France (currently, some 85% of the country's vins de pays production). Like A.C. laws, vin de pays laws must follow 100% of whatever geographic designations are stated on the label.

Vin de pays with varietal designations, of course, are fairly new; but now extremely popular given the ready acceptance in the U.S. as well as in the U.K. This is where I may be wrong, and so I will have to confirm this for sure later: but I believe that varietal vin de pays bottlings must be pretty much 100% of the stated varietal. If there is any leeway given, it is a small, largely inconsequential amount (like 2%). But let me get back to you on this. I'll ask around when some people I know get back from the holidays.

In any case, I can't imagine French law being anywhere near as nebulous as, say, Chilean law (where, reportedly, many varietal "Merlots" are largely made from Carmenere); or enforced with as much wink-wink-nudge-nudge as, say, Italian law.

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 12-31-1999).]

- aria - 01-02-2000

Thanks all for responding! Sorry if I was confusing...I have had some Merlots before, just never this brand...

- aria - 01-08-2000

Just an update...I finally got around to opening the Heron Merlot (I needed a red to cook with) and my husband tried it...afterwards I read him your description and he said it was a very accurate wording...resiny and smoky, with a little cherry to it...I am waiting until tomorrow to compliment the steak that I am marinating with it! Yum...