WineBoard
buying French wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: buying French wine (/thread-19009.html)

- winophite - 01-30-2008

I checked out a source I saw mentioned here somewhere, in Chicago, (H.D.H.). I was able to get a short private word with one of my "collector" physician colleagues, he knew of them and their history and warned me to be careful of the prices. I was hoping he'd offer to hook me up me from his cellar, (but he didn't take the bait). I'm anxious to try some of this Montrachet he mentions from time to time.

Anyone have knowledge about this wine:
2005 Puligny-Montrachet, Les Folatieres, Louis Jadot. I've had 4-5 of Jadots wines from Beajolais to Chablis and enjoyed them all.

1. Should this wine age another couple years?
2. Is $75 in the right ballpark?

This is kind of over my price range, but maybe just 2 bottles wouldn't hurt me to bad if the price is in line. Maybe I'd be best off trying to get my local retailer to hook me up, (if they would for just 2 bottles).

Well just wondering, thanks. WP

- TheEngineer - 01-30-2008

Louis Jadot is a very large Negotiant in Burgundy and their wines are pretty good. I've never had their Puligny-Montrachet but I have their Mersaults and they are very nice. Not the cheapest but since they are large, I think they are actually a pretty good deal (efficiencies). The wine you are talking about is from a very well received vintage and the $75 was the approx. release price so it a pretty good price. A quick check on Wine-searcher.com showed that it ranged from $70 to $100 a bottle currently.

FWIW
Burghound rated it 91-93
WS rated it 94 ("Lean and refined, packing a lot of peach, flower, citrus and toast aromas and flavors into a lithe frame. Already harmonious and complex, this will get better and better over the next decade. Has fine length and minerality. Best from 2009 through 2020. 125 cases made. –BS" from the website www.winespectator.com
and

S. Tanzer rated it 92 ("Good bright, pale yellow color. Reticent nose hints at flowers and nutty oak. Then round, silky and voluminous in the mouth, with complex flavors of citrus fruits and honeysuckle. Conveys an impression of breadth and richness without any heaviness. In fact, this has a juicy lightness of touch that's quite refreshing in the context of the vintage.") (source Steven Tanzer).

Thanks for the heads up on HDH.

- wondersofwine - 01-31-2008

I can't find it on the Triangle Wine Experience website (it may have been in the brochure mailed to my home address) but I think I saw that this auctioneer will be handling the live auction for the charity event Saturday evening in Raleigh. I didn't sign up for Saturday's event ($150) but I am going to the Martinelli wine dinner Thursday at Bloomsbury Bistro and to a couple wine tastings in the area with different retail shops Friday. The vintners will be at the retail shops. We have 90 minutes for the wine tastings and I'd like to hit three or four but they are scattered around Cary, Raleigh, etc. so probably two is the most I can do. I will arrive early at one and hope they start a little early and then maybe another will go a little past the scheduled time. This all occurs next week starting February 7th.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-31-2008).]

- winophite - 02-01-2008

Hum...sounds like this LJ may be a good one to try, in a few years, thanks for your input Eng. WP