WineBoard
a case at a time - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: a case at a time (/thread-18933.html)

- grapesanonymous - 12-09-2005

Fairly new to the wine circuit, know what I like and dislike. What's the best way to go about buying a case or 2 of your favorite wines.

- newsguy - 12-09-2005

hi, grapes, and welcome to the Board.

your question is pretty general, so i'll give you a pretty general answer. if it were me, i'd go to the retailer that has the best per bottle price on the wine i want, and ask them if they can sell me a case. if not, can they order it for me? and you should get a discount for buying a case, typically about 10 percent off the per bottle price.

i hope that info is what you were looking for.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 12-09-2005).]

- grapesanonymous - 12-09-2005

hey thanks for the advice, I guess I was really wondering if you can order online, or is it easier and cheaper to go to a retailer.

- newsguy - 12-09-2005

i see that you live in georgia. that's a state that many wineries/wine businesses won't ship to. some will, though. you need to read the fine print on each website.

but if you're just getting into wine, i wouldn't bother with internet ordering just yet. what you really need to do is get to know the local wine shops and their selection and pricing. and you want to develop a relationship with someone there whose palate matches yours and doesn't steer you toward higher-priced wines than you ask for. when you've found a salesman you can trust at a wine shop with a good selection and fair pricing, you're in good shape.

- dananne - 12-09-2005

Agree with the above advice, and also agree that shipping into GA can be a pain. I'd be happy to steer you to some reputable wine stores in the area that will help point you in the direction of new stuff that fits your tastes and gives you a discount on 1/2 case and case purchases, including mixed cases. First suggestion would be to try WIne Gallery and Market at the corner of SIdney Marcus and Piedmont. Good knowledgeable folks, no pretentiousness, and thoughtful and interesting selections about which the staff can speak with experience.

- wdonovan - 12-22-2005

Even if the state wasn't a pain, wine is heavy. Shipping is expensive. You need a real deep discount to match what you can buy for locally. Shop and you'll maybe find -15% or -20%. Some store will offer 10% on mixed cases. If you're not into big inventories, that can be as valuable as -15% on single selection cases.

- PinotEnvy - 12-22-2005

Since you are buying wine to last a while, I would reccomend asking when your local shop has a sale and wait to buy your quantities at those times. A storewide sale will often give you a deeper discount than 10% and you might get the added bonus that they are tasting a couple wines in the store during the sale.

- barnesy - 12-24-2005

The shop you shop is key. The shop I frequent offers a 10% on 6-11 btls, 15 on full cases and 20% off cases mixed or whole on their "critical list" items (items they guarentee you'll like and all under $20). I always shop for the mixed case. Some shops may have something for a buck less a bottle, but my shop never steers me wrong when I ask for recommendations and if I tell them a price range they rarely go over my limit unless its something they insist is worth the bit extra. They are almost never wrong. They know my tastes and cater to them.

Spend your time going to different shops, buy a bottle or two from those you get a good vibe from. Go to their tastings. Once you find a shop that takes care of you and meets your wine drinking desires, stick with them. Service is worth a bit extra on the bottle. You get what you pay for. Even when I know exactly what I am looking for on some of my purchases, the next time in I'll throw them a couple curveballs just to keep my palate adventursome.

Barnesy