WineBoard
Looking for Suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for Suggestions (/thread-189.html)

- mrdutton - 06-02-2003

Menu:

Hearts of Romaine lettuce with Ceasar Dressing

"Wagon wheel" pasta with home made pesto sauce

What wine would you suggest to go with this simple meal?

- hotwine - 06-02-2003

My choice would be a Barbera d'Alba.

- Innkeeper - 06-03-2003

I would lean toward a montepulciano. Either a Rosso Conero (with some sangiovese mixed in) or a pure Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Rosso.

- Thomas - 06-03-2003

I'd go with a Valpolicella (not a ripasso).

- Botafogo - 06-03-2003

Just to get all the way down the boot, let me chime in with a Cerasuolo di Vittoria from Sicily (Nero d'Avola with a big blast of spice and acidity from a dollop of Frappato)...

The moral of the story: NO MERLOT!

Roberto

- mrdutton - 06-03-2003

Thanks for the quick replies!

The wine I chose is a 2001 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. According to the purveyor it is an organic wine from A. Evangelista, San Salvo, Italia

Imported by Kysela Pere et Fils, Ltd., Winchester, VA

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 06-03-2003).]

- mrdutton - 06-04-2003

The meal consisted of salad with ceasar dressing with garlic/olive oil roasted croutons (home made) and grated, young asiago (imported from Italy). Oven warmed garlic/parmesan foccacia (sp?) and the aforementioned pasta with (home made) pesto sauce.

The pasta was sauced at the stove and served in large bowls. Just after the pasta was added to the sauce, a 1/4 cup of grated parmesan and a 1/4 cup of roasted pine nuts were added and blended into the pasta.

On the table, to further garnish the pasta, were a mixture of chopped garlic, shallots and flat parsley; a selection of kalamata olives and halves of grape tomatoes.

The wine was served chilled to 68 F. This nice red melded perfectly with the meal.

I considered Roberto's suggestion, but I could not find any Nero d'Avola. (Although I did find a bottle of red with the words Nero d'Avola on the label. However in bold upper case letters at the bottom of the label was printed CABERNET SAUVIGNON. I didn't think that is what Roberto had in mind, especially since Nero d'Avola is a specific grape variety.

PESTO SAUCE

Fresh ground black pepper (about 1/8 tsp)
Kosher salt (about 3/4 tsp)
Garlic cloves (about 15)
Fresh sweet Basil (about 4 ounces)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (3/4 cup)
Pecorino Romano (2 tbs, grated)
Pine Nuts (1/3 to 1/2 cup, oven roasted)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pine nuts in a small roasting pan and lightly coat them with olive oil. Lightly season with kosher salt. Roast for about 10 to 12 minutes, tossing once every 5 minutes, until the nuts are golden brown.

Using the water in which you intend to cook your pasta, cook the whole garlic cloves at a light simmer for eight minutes. Remove the garlic from hot water and stop the cooking process by blanching in iced water. Remove the cloves from the ice water.

Next, blanch the basil in the simmering pasta water for about 5 seconds and remove to paper towels to dry.

Place the basil and garlic in a blender or food processor. While running the blender, slowly add the olive oil and blend until you have a rough puree. Then add the grated cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper and blend until the pine nuts are well blended with the sauce. Sample and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if required. Set aside until ready to sauce your pasta. (Can be refrigerated for up to four days - bring to room temperature before saucing your pasta.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 06-04-2003).]