WineBoard
Help to plan a trip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Help to plan a trip (/thread-18876.html)

- jeremysmichael - 04-19-2005

First off I would like to thank the people on this board for the help you provided me last fall. I had a first date with a woman that I'd had my eye on for a really long time. She is a wine enthusiast and is very knowledgeable on the subject. I asked for some advice on ordering a bottle and you provided me with some much needed assistance as I am a novice to say the least. Long story short, she already knew that I didn't have any prior knowledge but definitely appreciated the fact that I'd went through the trouble to learn a little.
Anyway things have been going very well ever since. I am going to surprise her with a nice relaxing week in California's wine country and I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. Any information or links you could provide me would be great. I'd like to know if there is a particular time of year that is better than others. Specific places to stay, eat, or visit. I did some searching on the internet but of course it was just individual links of which they all said they were the best. I appreciate your help.

Thanks - Jeremy

- Innkeeper - 04-19-2005

You will get a lot a good advice on this one too. Though I've recently spent most of my and my wife's time in California in two regions, the Central Coast and Monterey, for the combination of beauty, history, restaurants, and wine (all in one) is is hard to beat the Monterey Peninsula.

Go to the bottom of the board to the Touring Wine Country tread; and go all the way back. You will find a lot of recommendations including reports of three trips we have taken out there.

- Zinner - 04-19-2005

Do you know if she likes wines from any particular California area?

Has she already been to any of the wine areas before or would this be a first trip for her?

- jeremysmichael - 04-20-2005

This would be her first trip. I'm not sure if she has a preference for any particular area. Maybe I should do some investigating.

- wondersofwine - 04-20-2005

Wine Country Inn in Napa Valley is lovely, but pricey. I had planned to give Applewood Inn in Guerneville, Sonoma a try but my trip to California this month didn't take place. For less expensive accommodations if you do go to Monterey County I can recommend Casa Munras Garden Hotel in Monterey and Carmel Sands Lodge in Carmel-by-the-Sea. (Rooms are not that special at Carmel Sands Lodge, but the location is good, there is off-the-street parking which is at a premium in Carmel, and the price is a pretty good value in my estimation.) There are some nice bed and breakfast inns in Mendocino County. For splurges in Monterey County I would suggest Vagabond's House Inn in Carmel (www.vagabondshouseinn.com) or a bed and breakfast in Pacific Grove (Seven Gables or other). Once you decide on which region you will visit, we can chime in with restaurant suggestions. Some prefer to avoid Napa because of the huge number of tourists hitting wineries and clogging the roads, etc. but it does have a variety of winery tours and some good eating.