WineBoard
a little advise, on reds - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: a little advise, on reds (/thread-18842.html)

- mccoy_b - 08-12-2001

hello all, let me begin by saying I have enjoyed reading your posts and have picked up quite a bit of info from them. Thanks.
Here is my situation. I have been enjoying wine for a little while now and know very little about it. I tend to stick with Merlots from US West Coast (Columbia Crest, Kendall-Jackson). All was fine until a friend brought over a nice Bourdeaux. I was blown away. Since then I have been trying other wines from the Bourdeaux region with hit and miss results. Most of the hits have been expensive, but even so price doesn't guarantee satisfaction as I have learned. Now to the point. I am finding my old standard US West Coast wine (Columbia Crest) to have a little too much bite. I would appreciate some suggestions on smoother affordable wines California, French, or other. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by mccoy_b (edited 08-14-2001).]

- Thomas - 08-12-2001

mccoy, you have been reading our posts but you ask for advice on wines to drink without food; obviously, some of us are not getting through to you.

Wine is food--it really should be consumed with food. That is its point. Why do you reject that concept?

By the way, I thought Columbia Crest is from Washington.

- mccoy_b - 08-12-2001

I agree with wine and food 100%. You are correct and I am sorry for not being clear on the Columbia Crest. I had written the post and listed several other wines along with it. After reading over my post I decided it was too long and cut some details out and missed the mistake. The wines that should have been listed are the well known ones like Kendall-Jackson, Robert Mondavi, and maybe one not so well known, Michel-Schlumberger. I guess I should have said U.S. west coast wines. At any rate the food stipulation was added because it had been asked for in previous posts looking for advice. I drink wine with meals on occasion and I drink wine without food on other occasions. I enjoy both. Sorry for the mistake.

- Innkeeper - 08-13-2001

One way to find your way though the Bordeaux quagmire of thousands of different chateaux, to find value, is to find the second labels of the more prestigious (and expensive) chateaux or those of the Crus Bourgeois that are owned by the big guys. Not just talking about big, but the well known producers of quality wines.

A good guide to all this is in the special edition of Wine & Spirits Magazine currently on the newstands entitled: Guide To Understanding Wine (The Insider's Guide To Value). The article: "Finding Value In Bordeaux" by Fiona Morrison, MW; is the one you want.

As far as California/Washington wines go, here are two routes you can go. One is to go cheap. The more inexpensive cabernets tend to be smoother and otherwise more approachable on release. For under $10, you might give Hacienda a shot. The other route is to try merlot. Merlot is dollar by dollar, maker by maker smoother and more approachable than cabernet.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-13-2001).]

- lizardbrains - 08-14-2001

Though I am an amateur, I must say... I really enjoy relaxing on the couch with a glass of wine (without food). I'm not a tea/coffee person, so my preferred drink would be wine.

- mccoy_b - 08-15-2001

Innkeeper, thank you for your advice. I will pick up the "Wines and Spirits" magazine tomorrow. I am not familiar with second labels. Are you saying some of the more well known names produce wines under other labels? For instance Chateau Montrose (Saint-Estephe) so far has been my favorite, do they have 2nd labels? Will I find all this out in Wine and Spirits? Once again I thank you for your help.

Lizardbrains, (what a name!) that happens time to time at my house or even better yet on the deck overlooking the lake at camp.

Foodie, just a note to you that I am trying a new Merlot tonight, Bogle, with food. I know you will be proud. Tomorrow Pepper Wood Grove and after that a bottle of Hacienda as per Innkeeper's advice. Thank you all and any other suggestions are appreciated.

- Innkeeper - 08-15-2001

Second labels can mean many things. In Bordeaux it usually means that the best grapes from a chateau go into their primary label, i.e. Chateau Montrose. The second label can contain the rest of the grapes from that chateau and/or other grapes from other places. You can tell by the appelation they put on the bottle. If it says "Appellation Bordeaux Controlee" grapes can come from anywhere in Bordeaux. Most get the grapes for second labels, if not from their own, then from nearby vineyards. The second label from Montrose is La Dame de Montrose. Don't know what appellation they put on the label.
My guess is that it would be Applellation St-Estephe Controlee.

The W&S article just covers the seconds of all the Premier and Second Crus in a side bar, but mention many others in the text. Many other classified and quality unclassified chateaux put out seconds. Those not mentioned you just have to track down. For example, one of my favorite wines is Chateau Les Fiefs de Lagrange which is a second from Chateau Lagrange, a third cru. It carries a St-Julien appellation.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-15-2001).]