WineBoard
An introduction and ? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: An introduction and ? (/thread-18815.html)

- VintageSooner - 03-26-2001

I just found this board tonight and it looks great. I've been in love with wine for a few years now and it is nice to find a forum to interact with other wine lovers. I'm sure I will ask a few dumb questions so please bear with me.

I have read a number of the posts and many of the regulars seem to be quite knowledgable. My question is, how long had you been drinking wine before you really felt comfortable making recomendations, started to trust your palate, and were really able to pick up the subtle nuances of the wines you were drinking?

- winoweenie - 03-26-2001

Vintage Sooner, welcome to the board. I too am a vintage sooner and spent my very own formative years in Tulsa, ( Horace Mann , Central, Will Rogers and Holy Family).To kinda' answer your question, I'll use some of the more erudite members of the board as illustrations. With Bucko and Innkeeper it was after their second glass they were able to sit-down at the key-board and produce a 1427 word critique not that they knew what they were drinkin': Drew spent 6 years investigating wheter or not wine was a legal beverage and then discovered Aussie juice and got religion; Rad had to drink wine on his jaunts around the world so he didn't have to drink water; Foodie became enamoured because no one else would taste what he produced;Hotwine was snowed in for 3 winters in his cellar and lived on beef stew and Gallo hearty burgandy and lastly MrDutton found religion in wine when forced to down two dozen sand crabs that weren't thotoughly cleaned. As for me, my drink of cherce is still RC. winoweenie Kaint' believe I forgot the Mity W-Collector -Man. His delivery into the wine heirochy was when he bought his 1st 6-pac of Sutter White Ziz and the party left him the core of his collection. sori WC

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-26-2001).]

- winecollector - 03-26-2001

That was beautiful, Verne.... I have tears in my eyes! But you did not mention about the 40 days and 40 nights of rain, and all you had to drink was sissy whites!

- VintageSooner - 03-26-2001

Wow! Another Tulsa Sooner, small world. East Central here, but my bestest friend was and still is a Central grad, and Holy Family on top of that, amazing. BTW, if you are in Tulsa anytime soon, you should stop by to listen to a Father Matt homily. He is young but wise (and he loves wine).

Well, I feel right at home now.

- mrdutton - 03-29-2001

WW, now who told you about them sand crabs?

- winoweenie - 03-30-2001

VS. Wont be back in Tulser any time in the near future that I can see. Spend most of my time in the west. I spent most of my high scool years as a vagabond, being expelled from Central, Being expelled from the first class at Will Rogers, and finally because it was the last high school in town and the fact Mother Francis Mary had a 5 pound ruler, I cleaned up my act and granulated. If you ever are lucky enough to get outta the sleet, snow, blowing rain etc and make it Phoenix. give me a call. WW (from a diferent era of Central...Central West! Well I Be )