WineBoard
Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir (/thread-18760.html)

- jpy15026 - 02-11-2006

I would like to know if there is a Pinot Noir worth buying in the $10.00 price range that tastes like a Pinot noir should taste, or at least resemble a Pinot Noir, or are all these just Plonk and a waste of time and money. Has anyone tasted any of these?..Yes? , No?, Maybe??
The ones that are available to me here in Pa. are :

Beaulieu Vineyards Coastal (BV)………$10.99

Camelot(Kendall Jackson)A blend of 76% Pinot Noir/21%syrah/3%sangiovese…$8.99

Mirassou Central Coast(Brought Pinot grape to Ca. 150 yrs ago from France)... $10.99

Pepperwood Grove (Don Sabiastiani)..$10.99

Smoking Loon (also Don Sabiastiani)..$10.99

Lindemans Bin 99..$10.99
Thanks in advance for the help, I’m trying to learn.
JPY

- dananne - 02-11-2006

If you can find it, try Queen of Hearts Pinot Noir. Daniel Gehrs makes it with Lucas and Lewellen fruit. Great stuff. It runs $9.99. Best one we've ever had in the price range (and we've had a lot).

- Deputy - 02-11-2006

If anyone has feedback on the Mirassou, that'd be good too, I've got some chillin' in the cellar right now.

- Innkeeper - 02-11-2006

We've enjoyed the BV Coastal, the Pepperwood Grove, and the Smoking Loon.

- Kcwhippet - 02-11-2006

Worked with a Mirassou (who had married a Concannon strangely enough)when I lived out in CA back in the 80's, and knew a few others of the family who were at other wineries. They did indeed bring some PN cuttings to CA from France way back when, but so did other people. The PN they make now has no relation to any of the grapes Pierre Pellier brought over with him. For almost all of its existence the Mirassou winery was based on Aborn Road in San Jose, but not since Gallo bought them. Now they're in Healdsburg and Modesto, and none of the vineyards or grape contracts came with the name when it was sold. A couple of the kids (I think Dave and Heather) stayed with the winery to show some kind of continuity with the name, but they don't really know anything about how to make good wine. I haven't had any of their wines since Ed Mirassou died back about the mid 90's. Their PN's in the 80's and early 90's were wonderful wines. I wish they were the same now as then.

- jpy15026 - 02-12-2006

Has anyone tasted this?? Worth trying??
JOSEPH DROUHIN LAFORET IMP. PINOT NOIR
Size: 750 ML Price: $11.99
Thanks,
John

- Deputy - 02-12-2006

Thanks KC, interesting info!

- robr - 02-12-2006

I agree with IK, esp on the Smoking Loon. Also, try Cartlidge and Brown or Mark West if you can find it.

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Agree with John 100%. Thought we were talking about local Pinot. The JOSEPH DROUHIN LAFORET is very reliable. We have consumed many cases of it.

- andypandy - 02-12-2006

I'll speak for the BV Coastal. Very enjoyable wine for the price. It's actually my sure-fire, daily red drinker that I always keep on hand.

- wondersofwine - 02-13-2006

I agree that the Mark West is pretty decent for the price.

- jpy15026 - 02-13-2006

Keep 'em coming ..this is great.

- Kcwhippet - 02-13-2006

For a few dollars more, try the Saintsbury Garnet. It's about $15 to $17 retail. A year or two ago, an importer of high priced Burgundies was given it blind and he guessed it was a Burgundy in the $40 to $50 range.

- wondersofwine - 02-14-2006

Agree. Saintsbury Garnet is reliable at a slightly higher price point.

- VouvrayHead - 02-14-2006

the LAFORET is good... light and earthy style.. like it lots for $ the step up Drouhin Vero is around $18 and more substantial.

- HuckSawyer - 02-15-2006

We consumed several bottles (separate occasions) of something called Laetitia 2004 PN from Trader Joe's; the woman in my camp gave me the usual last-possible-moment instruction to "hit" TJ's for Pinot and chocolate and there I was . . . but for about $12, maybe $10, it was fair enough.

The exact, exact spelling eludes me but it certainly started Laetit-

Last bottle consumed: 2003 Shotfire Shiraz, remarkably economic at $11/case purchase!

- Oenotheque - 02-17-2006

I got a case of the Frederic Esmonin Clos Prieur 2002 Gevrey Chambertin (French Pinot) for just under 17/bottle and in a recent tasting with a couple of pinot-head friends it blew the doors off a Domaine Serene Evenstad, and the Drouhin Williamette that we had. That said all 3 were excellent. The availability may be limited as when I went back for more my local merchant said that the distributor was out.

- Moushegh - 02-20-2006

I happen to enjpy the Blackstone Pinot.

Very pleasant in the 10-14 Dollar range. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT;
"If anyone has feedback on the Mirassou, that'd be good too, I've got some chillin' in the cellar right now."

I just tried the Mir. for the first time this past weekend.
I personally found it disapointing and just plain unexciting. Nothing horrible, but I certainly will not be buying anymore Mir. Pinot. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Moushegh (edited 02-20-2006).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-20-2006

Like I said, not the same since Gallo took over.

- Deputy - 02-20-2006

and to think...I paid something like $17.99 for that!

I guess I won't rush to pound that one back, sigh!