WineBoard
comments wanted - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: comments wanted (/thread-18716.html)

- newredwinelover - 07-13-2004

I've recently purchased several bottles of red wine, most of them being a different variety of grape. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if so, what are your thoughts on them. They are: J&F Lurton "Les Bateaux" Syrah 2001; Chateau Pitray Bordeaux 1998; Chateau Baron De Rothschild Bordeaux 1999; Christian Moueix Merlot 2000. All if these wines were recommended by the local wine shop, except for the Pitray - they hadn't tried it yet. All bottles are under $12. Thanks!

- Drew - 07-13-2004

All are low level, journymen, but pleasant Frenchies. The Les Bateaux(The Boats) used to be a very nice value wine 3 vintages or so ago but I think the quality has diminished. I think there are much better French QPR wines available for $12 to $15. Let us know what you think of them.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2004

Hi New, and welcome to the Wine Board. To continue what Drew was saying, the syrah is a separate grape grown in the South of France. It is also grown extentively in the New World (regions outside of Western Europe); particularly in Australia where it is known as Shiraz, and America where it is known as both Syrah and Shiraz. The Bordeaux are blends with Cabernet Sauvignon upfront and other grapes in smaller quanities. The Merlot comes from the East Bank of the Garronne River in Bordeaux where Merlot takes the lead in blends, but yours is mostly or completely Merlot. As Drew correctly states, these are all journeyman wines, which should be enjoyable, but better can be found at the price range. Go to another store and ask for recommendations.

- newredwinelover - 07-14-2004

Thanks for the info. A few friends came over last night and we opened 3 of the bottles. Here's what I thought: The Les Bateaux was nice - spicy, with a smooth finish. The Chateau Pitray was uneventful - my least favorite. The tannins were a little much for my taste. The Rothschild, I thought, was very good. Not tannic at all. Worth a lot more than the Pitray, even though they were the same price. I'm saving the Merlot for this weekend, But I'll check in with that one. Thanks again for your comments.

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2004

Excellent comments. You are right on in your evaluations.

- newredwinelover - 07-14-2004

Thanks, Innkeeper. I'm working on breaking down flavors in wine. Tell me your opinion on this one: Antinori Santa Christina 2001. I really like this one (I've been on a French kick but really like the Italians);it was very aromatic - nice hints of dark cherry with a distinctive oak finish. I later tried an '02 but it was NYR. Thoughts? Thanks again for the grape info.

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2004

It's a very dependable wine year in year out. It is Sangiovese based with a splash of Cabernet. Like most Chianti like, Sangiovese based wines, it goes better with food, preferably Italian food, than it does as a quaffer. My favorite Italian for sipping, even though it also goes wonderfully with food is the Valpolicella Vino di Ripasso which is a highbrid between journeyman Valpolicella and Amarone (possibly the best and most expensive Italian wine). All are made basically with the Corvina grape. Just love those Ripassos and you can get one for the same price you paid for the Bordeaux.