WineBoard
Difference between Chardoney and Dry White - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Difference between Chardoney and Dry White (/thread-18715.html)

- cmegozoom - 07-12-2001

I need to understand the difference between Chardoney and Dry White wine. Is it simply the sweetness?

- Bucko - 07-12-2001

A good Chardonnay IS dry, so they are one in the same. Obviously there are many other dry whites such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, etc., all of which can also have residual sugar -- winemaker's preference.

Bucko

- wondersofwine - 07-12-2001

The pinot chardonnay grape is considered to be one of the "noble grapes" of the world. A well-made chardonnay wine may have more complexity and longevity in bottle than some other white wines. The riesling grape is also a "noble grape" and can produce both sweet and dry wines depending on things like ripeness of the grapes at harvest time, climate, etc. Dryer rieslings may be labeled as Trocken (Dry) or Halb-Trocken (half-dry).

- Thomas - 07-12-2001

Let's not confuse the issue,

First, chardonnay is the name of a white grape, just as the other names of grapes mentioned above.

Second, any wine can be produced dry or sweet, or anything in between, if that is what the winemaker wants to produce. Most grape varieties lend themselves to one or the other treatment for a variety of reasons that you need to study wine to understand.

Third, and this is for wondersofine: a long time ago the powers-that-be determined that chardonnay is not in the pinot family; have you heard conflicting evidence lately?

- wondersofwine - 07-12-2001

No, I haven't. Thanks for correcting me.
I was taking that from one of the wine books I have at home that refers to Pinot Noir as the principal grape for red burgundies and Pinot Chardonnay as the principal grape for
white burgundies. Will have to see which book misled me.

- wondersofwine - 07-13-2001

I tracked down the misinformation. It was from an older book "A Wine Tour of France" by Frederick S. Wildman, Jr. The pb edition I have is from 1976. It refers to Pinot Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc. However, I am indebted to that book. I was living in Germany in the late 70's and took an art history tour to Burgundy (the Hospice de Beaune, a museum in Dijon, etc.). I used the book to help me select two bottles of Beaune wines in a wine shop and that was the start of my interest in red Burgundies. Before that I was more into German whites, red Bordeaux and Zinfandels. I still drink red Bordeaux but my preference in red wines is now more the Burgundies.
Thanks again for setting the record straight. I won't make the mistake in referring to the Chardonnay grape again.

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2001

Not to worry Wonderman. Anyone who thinks they know all about wine, knows nothing, as is amply exhibited around here all the time. Incidentally, doesn't your library have e-mail?

- Thomas - 07-13-2001

No problem wondersofine, just thought maybe you had information I have yet to see. Back in the seventies one could buy bottles of French and American wines called Pinot Chardonnay. In the eighties their thunder was taken away by the scientists.

Incidentally, Wildman was one of the giants of the industry--what has happened in the past few years to his legacy, the import and distribution company that bears his name,is a shame.

- wondersofwine - 07-13-2001

What has happened to Wildman's import and distribution business?

- Thomas - 07-14-2001

Wildman is no longer family-owned and has lost some of its quality selections, not to mention its trained sales staff. The salesman who handles my account is young and inexperienced--and he has a cursory wine knowledge. But that did not stop him from using a strange sales technique on me: he told me that my selection of wines in the shop was not up to his standards--I told him to grab the door knob firmly and then open and move as fast as possible before the bottle I was holding reached the back of his tiny head...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-14-2001).]

- Botafogo - 07-14-2001

Foodie, several shocked members of the Brown Forman team recently offered to help us "stop losing money" by recitifying the intollerable shortage of their products in our store (as in NONE!). But then one of them noticed the banner in the Champagne section that reads, "WINE EXPO, the store for people who know Korbel is NOT Champagne!" and they decided it was a lost cause.......

You may borrow our standard answer to the Gallo Gang if you want: "You know, it says in the Old Testament that 'the sins of the fathers shall be carried by the sons (or daughter in this case), yeah even on to seven generations' which means you've got six to go before we have anything to talk about"!

Roberto

- Thomas - 07-15-2001

I get similar results talking with the BIG GUYS on the East Coast...one told me I would need him one day, and I said that I would rather clean a wine cellar than be in that position.

- lizardbrains - 07-26-2001

Oh, you guys are awesome! I can't wait to be a true wino! There's so much to learn. I'm so glad I've happened onto this board, - you're personable as well as VERY knowledgeable!!! And good job for sticking up for what you know is right.