WineBoard
Pinot Noir & health - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir & health (/thread-18684.html)

- knbetts - 01-22-2004

I was watching the Science Channel a week or two ago and there was a story about Pinot Noir. It said that it actually reduces the risk of cancer by 50% or some crazy number. Of course, I cant find the website now... I should have written it down. I do know that they said Pinot Noir specifically is the best wine for the job. I really enjoy wine, although my taste is usually in the "cheap" wines. I love Lumbrusco (sp?) and it is pretty darn cheap. I am not saying that I need a cheap wine, just that after I taste the more expensive stuff I still prefer Lumbrusco. Can anyone tell me what tastes I can expect from Pinot Noir and what the best wine would be to try. Of course, you can probably tell that I love light, sweet wines. Thanks for your help.

Kristy

- wineguruchgo - 01-23-2004

Hello Knbetts,

Welcome to the wineboard!

I wish you could find the website that mentioned that because I have yet to hear of it. Now that would be cool!

If you like lighter wines you will like Pinot Noir. It isn't sweet, but it is fruity. Pinot Noir should taste like fresh, crushed cherries. Most will finish dry, but the fruit will be there.

Pick up a bottle of Villa Mt. Eden Pinot Noir. I think you will like it.

- knbetts - 01-23-2004

Thank you for your help. I will pick up a bottle and let you know what I think. Thanks again...

Kristy

- Tastevin - 01-23-2004

Hello knbetts,
Benton Lane winery in Oregon say this on the web -

"Resveratrol is a naturally occurring compound in grapes possessing very powerful biological effects. Such effects include minimizing the risk of atheroschlerosis and heart disease, powerful cancer-fighting properties, and protection against degenerative neurologic diseases. Apart from rather small amounts in peanuts, red wine is virtually the only source of this compound in the normal human diet.

In a reseach paper authored in 200, Benton-Lane’s 1997 Oregon Pinot Noir was found to contain 40.9 micromoles/liter of resveratrol, "the highest resveratrol level of any tested wine currently available.”

Benton-Lane’s Pinot Noir wines consistently test among the highest in the world for the presence of resveratrol.
Resveratrol is a natural anti-fungal agent concentrated in the skins of grapes. Due to Oregon’s often cool and moist climate, grapes from this region contain higher amounts of resveratrol. Red wines contain more resveratrol than white wines because red wines ferment with their skins. Pinot Noir has twice the resveratrol level of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. These wines average around 8 micromoles/liter whereas Pinot Noir averages around 13 micromoles/liter.
Resveratrol has been shown to boost “good” cholesterol and prevent blood clotting, effects likely responsible for improved heart health.
Resveratrol also has potentially impressive anti-cancer properties. In tests it appears to inhibit the formation and growth of cancer tumors. Recent research by Professor Gerry Potter at De Montfort University in U.K. indicates that resveratrol is converted in the body to piceatannol, a compound which actively fights, not just prevents cancer. Additional laboratory research lead by Professor Alberto Bertelli of Milan University found that resveratrol could possibly protect against degenerative neurologic diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s by stimulating nerve cells to regenerate.
It may be the case that more frequent resveratrol consumption may improve your health. Consult your family doctor about the health effects of wine consumption."

As for the taste, I won't get into that because I might complicate things for you. Whether it is very similar to the Pinot Noir from Burgundy (the home of the Pinot Noir grape) or not I don't know. However,it may be one of the few made outside of Burgundy that does. You may find it interesting to do a few comparisons. As I don't know what is available in the States, perhaps some of the other members could suggest some.

I don't have any axe to grind about Benton Lane Winery. It's simply the first one I came to when I Googled the web using - pinot noir cancer.

Incidentally, Pinot Noir is also a major component of white and pink Champagne. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] T.

- Thomas - 01-23-2004

I have nothing against either Benton Lane or Pinot Noir wines, but almost every producer who uses the resveratrol health knowledge in its marketing seems to think its Pinot Noir has the highest resveratrol levels.

Resveratrol has been shown to offer the benefits listed, but I wouldn't go so far as to believe that any one producer's Pinot Noir has an edge over any other--even if it does have an edge, it will be slight.

The reason Pinot Noir contains seemingly higher levels of resveratrol is because in the vineyard that grape is prone to lots of disease, and so it manufactures a lot of resveratrol to fend them off.

Almost all red wine contains the chemical (and some whites too). Just drink two to three glasses of wine a day and be happy, and maybe even healthy

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-23-2004).]

- knbetts - 01-24-2004

Thank you guys for all the useful information about Pinot Noir. I really appreciate it. I tried finding the Villa Mt. Eden, but they did not have it where I looked. I am going to go to a wine store later today. THanks again...

Kristy

- Bucko - 01-24-2004

Plus.......numerous studies have shown that it is the alcohol that has the most benefit. It stimulates precursors of HDL, the "good" component of cholesterol.

- wineguruchgo - 01-25-2004

Hey Kristy,

Ask your local retailer to bring in a few bottles for you. Most will do that if they know that they are going to sell it. Tell them it's made by the same company (Stimson Lane) that makes Columbia Crest and Chateau Ste. Michelle. Chances are he already has those wines and bringing in a few bottles for you won't be a problem.

Retailers love guaranteed sales!

- Thomas - 01-25-2004

Guru, do you know any businessperson who doesn't love guaranteed sales???