WineBoard
In need of wine expertise! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: In need of wine expertise! (/thread-18683.html)

- Lil Redhot - 12-15-2001

Hello! My hubby and I are going on a trip with his company. Last year we embarrassed the group by ordering spumante our favorite -the restaurant did not carry it. (It was a very fancy restaurant). I should've asked the group ahead of time but I thought Martini & Rossi was impressive.
I do not want a repeat of that in the event we go to another such restaurant. I am open to trying something new (on the lines of spumante) or sweet as I have been reading on your board (e.g.Beaujolais) Will finer restaurants carry this? Are there key words to indicate a sweeter version so that no matter where I go I can detect a wine that compares to my taste?
Thank you for your help, I do so appreciate it!!
Lil RH

- winoweenie - 12-15-2001

Hi Lil Redhot and welcome to the board. You need more than just some names to help you. Experience is the only solution to your question. Seeing as how you don't have that luxury, I'll give you the solution I use. When confronted with a wine list which completely is foreign to me, I've found the easiest way oput is just to explain to your server your preference, the stuff you like, and what do him have that meets your criteria. Lack of knowledge isn't a crime unless you don't share it. WW

- mrdutton - 12-16-2001

There is a whole world of wines from very dry to very sweet.

Generally, the very sweet wines are reserved for dessert, while the dry to slightly sweet wines are drunk with the main course.

There is nothing wrong with Asti Spumante, but try this one for size. Next time you have a meal of a lite meat like ham or turkey or lightly roasted chicken, ask for Prosecco.

Prosecco is a light, slightly bubbly Italian white wine that is just superb. It is lighter than Champagne and, in my humble opinion, it stands ready as a great drink for any number of meals or as a great aperatif (sP?).

If the establishment has it, you will certainly impress your group. If the establishment does not have it, then say "oh what a shame, I guess we'll have to opt for the Asti". Then you will still get something you like.

Never, please, never, be embarressed about ordering a wine you like. Your tastes for wine and your palate are special and are most important.

Drink what you like, sample all the rest and you might discover more that you like; but please always remember to drink the wines you enjoy drinking.

- wondersofwine - 12-17-2001

Have you tried Vouvray wines from the Loire Valley of France or a German Riesling Spatlese? You might enjoy these white wines with dinner as they are not cloyingly sweet but also not tart or bitter.

- Lil Redhot - 12-17-2001

Thank you all for your advice!! I am excited to give them a try.
Smiles,
Lil RH