WineBoard
1986 Cos D'estournel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 1986 Cos D'estournel (/thread-18637.html)

- sedhead - 12-30-2003

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
I received the above as a gift. Does anyone have notes on this wine?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by sedhead (edited 12-30-2003).]

- Brom - 12-30-2003

Since you now own the wine, I would advise against seeking out the opinions/impressions of others about it.

They can only serve to influence your unformed impressions.

Let the wine tell you what it tastes like, not Bill and Joe.

- sedhead - 12-30-2003

Thanks. I was wondering more about maturity. I 've had some disapointments drinking these types of wines too early.

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2003

Should be more than ready.

- winoweenie - 12-30-2003

Happy Newbie there Sed. I personally love the 86 Cos. Tied with the 82 IMHB as the 2 best of the 80s'.As far as its' future, if the wine has had good storage and you have good storage it still can improve for another 3-6. I gave it a 20 year span when I first tasted it and nothing has happened since to alter that assessment. A truly CLASSIC Cos. WW

- Brom - 12-30-2003

I have to ask ('cos I really want to know):

Which 17 year old wines have you drunk and found that it had been too early and why did you find it to be too early?

- sedhead - 12-30-2003

Brom:
I guess my remarks were misleading. I think the general consensus is that 1/2 bottles age sooner than full.
So far this year Ive had three 1989 1/2 bottles that I thought could use more aging to reach their peak to my taste:
Grand-puy-lacoste
Beychevelle
Cos d'Estournel
So, I figured that if the '89 1/2 bottles were not ready yet, i did not want to take a chance on the 1986 Cos since it's the only one I have or will ever get.
I found all these wine outstanding with good balance but I prefer softer tannis.
Does anyone have a different opinion on 1/2 bottle aging verses full?
Thanks for all your responses.

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2003

sedhead,

Don't give Brom no nevermind. He/she is sort of like Dr. No, because no matter what someone opines, he/she always takes the opposite viewpoint. Nuff said.

- sedhead - 12-30-2003

Well I guess I did sound like I was "sticking my nose up" at 17 year old Grand Cru Classe wines. Maybe the fault lies in the fact that my taste in wine is skewed to the right of peak maturity. My wife has simular taste.

- sedhead - 12-31-2003

We decided to drink the '86 on my birthday in 2005 since WW has has tried it and and IK feels it's ready.
P.S. WW
I'll break out my vinyl versions of An Hour With The Ramsey Lewis Trio and Ahmad Jamal's But Not For Me "live at the Pershing" for the occasion.

[This message has been edited by sedhead (edited 12-31-2003).]

- winoweenie - 12-31-2003

Well since you asked Brom I'll give a partial list; 59 & 61 Latour, 64 & 70 BV Reserve, 69, 70, and 74 Heitz Marthas', 74'76, and 78 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill. All still had tannins and the aromatics were not fully developed. WW

Sed that sounds like my type of evening. By-the-by, I've had this wine 5 times. Once out of my cellar and 4 times at other venues.WW

- Brom - 12-31-2003

"59 & 61 Latour, 64 & 70 BV Reserve, 69, 70, and 74 Heitz Marthas', 74'76, and 78 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill"

Did you ever find these wines to your satisfaction? If so, at what age?

If you did not find the '59 Latour to be to your satisfaction until this year, does that mean it was too early to drink 2 years ago?

Or does it mean it was too early for you to drink it?

"All still had tannins"

Yes, of course they did. What do you mean to say by this?

My point with the original post is while certainly he can drink the wine later he can just as certainly drink it now. Do you think no one drank the '64 BV in 1981 and found it to be perfectly satisfactory?

Wines change, they become different as they age.

Certainly one can say "aromatics were not fully developed".

By the same token, one can say fruit and grip had not fully faded.

You are looking for wine to lose its grip and structure ("it still had tannins" - as if this were a bad thing) in favor of different flavor components. That's your personal taste.

A pre-specified and publishable quantifiable "optimum" drinkability time for any wine is a myth.

Optimum drinkability exists for each of us based on our own preferences.

Brom, I've never said this before but sonny you need help. And can you tell me your experience with one of the aforementioned wines? Have a happy New Year. Holy Sheesh!!!WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-31-2003

Like I said.