WineBoard
How Long Does Wine Last? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How Long Does Wine Last? (/thread-18623.html)

- HollyLynn72 - 08-22-2005

I am just starting to learn about wines and have bought my first two bottles; one is a Merlot, and the other is Cabernet Sauvignon. My question is this: Once the wine has been opened, how long will it last? Does wine expire after a certain period of time?

- wondersofwine - 08-22-2005

Welcome to the wine board, Holly!

If you go to the home page of this board:
http://www.wines.com and look down the left side you will see a section for "Learn About Wine" which includes Frequently Asked Questions. Click on the links and under Frequently Asked Questions is one about storing red or white wines once they've been opened.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-22-2005).]

- HollyLynn72 - 08-23-2005

Thank you very much. I missed that portion of FAQ's when I first read it. Thanks for pointing that out to me, it was very helpful!

- wondersofwine - 08-23-2005

You're welcome. What kind of wines do you like?

- goblue - 08-23-2005

Hello,

How well do you think the wine pumps work for saving the wine. I have a simple one and it only seems to keep the wine for a day max.

- winoweenie - 08-23-2005

They are not efficient, or I should say they're useless. The only way to get any extension in the life of an opened bottle is a dispenser " Private Preserve ". This combination of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and argon gases blanket the wine. The cost is about 10 bucks and will handle about 120 opened bottles. WW

- goblue - 08-23-2005

Really, it's only $10? I would have guessed it was more expensive. I'll check my local wine shop, I think they carry it. Have you used it before??

- HollyLynn72 - 08-27-2005

Thanks for your help, wondersofwine. At this point I don't know what wines I like, I've only tried a few (friends have ordered for me) Do you have any recommendations?
The sauvignon blanc that I bought was very good. It was "Dancing Bull" I believe? Although it seemed to lose its flavor quite fast after I opened it. I kept it refrigerated, but by the 4th day, it seemed kind of week tasting.

- hotwine - 08-27-2005

Wines are foods, HollyLynn. Once exposed to the air, they begin to "open up" to show their full aromas and flavors, then begin the process of deterioration. For best results, suggest you consume an opened bottle within 24 hours. Even at that, most wines will exhibit less than their optimum flavors on the second day.

- robr - 08-27-2005

Not to contradict, but I believe that varies with the individual wine. Some wines seem to last longer than others, but all should be refrigerated and tightly corked after opening.

I have had some that I drank three days later that tasted just as good as the day I opened them. Others tasted flat, and some became sugary and flabby. Younger wines seem to last longer... maybe because they are simply not as old.

On the whole, in general, most won't be very good after three days.

- Innkeeper - 08-28-2005

"Shelf life" varies from brand to brand, wine to wine. Andrea Immer gives guidlines on popular brands in her annual guides.

- hotwine - 08-28-2005

That's the problem with generalities, Bern. They're way too general. Sure, I've enjoyed many wines a few days after opening, with some still improving on day #3. But as a rule, I don't try to define the limit of each wine's longevity after opening. Holly asked how long hers will last after opening, and I gave her my considered answer.... which is, not long.

- Thomas - 08-28-2005

Bernkastler,

While I do not argue with the premise that some wines will last longer than others in storage, or after opening, not one wine can or will taste the same as it did one, two or three days after first popping the cork. That is an illusion, the only way to test is to open a fresh bottle side-by-side with one that has been opened for a day or more.

- robr - 08-29-2005

Not to be contradictory, as you guys all know more about this stuff than I do, but when I said that some wines tasted just as good as the first day I opened them, I did not mean they tasted exactly the same, just "as good".

Interaction with air alters the taste of every wine. A lot of times I have noticed that they tasted a lot better on the second day.

- wondersofwine - 08-30-2005

Agree. Some Chiantis I like better the second day and same with the Washington State Syrah I had recently.

- PinotEnvy - 08-30-2005

HollyLynn,

Nice to see another Minnesotan on here. Welcome, don'tcha know.

If you are unsure of what kinds of wine you like, a number of the liquor stores around town open a few bottles for sampleing. I often frequent Haskell's. During one of their big sales is the best opportunity to do that for 2 reasons. First the obvious one that it will be cheaper to buy the wines you like and 2 with more store traffic, they may have more bottles open for tasting.

PE

- HollyLynn72 - 08-30-2005

Hi,
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my question. I really am very new to this and have a lot to learn. I really appreciate everyones feedback. I will be sure to come here when I have more questions, and there are sure to be many more questions from me.

- HollyLynn72 - 08-30-2005

PinotEnvy
Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan in here too You Betcha!!
Thanks for the tip about wine sampling...I will be sure to look for stores that offer this. I'm looking forward to trying them out to see what I like. There is a winery near me...and I'm planning on attending a wine tasting there as soon as they have their next one.

- JSHelgerson - 09-06-2005

Oh oh oh...I'm from Minnesota too! Woohoo! :-)

Anyway...Stillwater has 2 wineries that do wine tastings and you can find a few in alexandria and aroundas well. I would recommend trying them, they are fun and you get to try new things.

- PinotEnvy - 09-07-2005

Ive been to the Alexis Bailey winery out that way. If memory serves, it cost $10 to do the tasting. I reccomend combining it with a trip to the apple orchards this fall. The combination makes for a good day.