WineBoard
HELP!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HELP!!!! (/thread-18580.html)

- stevebody - 10-02-2004

I catered Judye's daughter's wedding as my wedding present to her and Brian, the new hubby. It was heavy hors d'oeuvres for 140 and we had ten items and did the whole thing in Brian's kitchen. Needless to say, it was brutal. The new couple have decided, because it went over so well, that they'd like to get me a REALLY nice bottle or two for my trouble. I've already tried telling them that isn't necessary, to no avail. (I DID try; just not all that hard...)

Here's the problem: I can't make up my flippin' mind. The leaders in the cluhouse are a '98 La Poja, a '98 Seghesio "La Villa" Barolo, and a '98 Quintarelli Valpo. I'm now officially on sensory overload. I don't know whether to tell them one splendid bottle, two great bottles, or three excellent bottles.

Here's the parameters, and all suggestions are welcome:

1. NO FRENCH. I would love a Hermitage or CdP, but there's too much room for error. Bordeaux and Burgundy I have no use for.

2. No California or Washington. They'd get something I wouldn't like and pay too much. (Did I mention that I get to SUGGEST but not request?) An expensive bottle from WA would be a Col Solare, which I wouldn't use to cook with, or a Leonetti, which I think are the most over-rated wines made up here. If I could get hold of a '94 Quilceda, I'd do it in a heartbeat but that ain't gonna happen. And there are just too many opinions floating around about CA Cabs. I'm picky as hell about that and she'd wind up with a Dominus, which I would throw off a bridge.

3. No European outside of Spain and Italy.

4. Nothing from Africa.

5. Nothing from South America.

6. Red

7. There is no 7

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I've simply reached the point at which I can't think about it anymore. Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 10-02-2004

I would ask for one fifteen year old Brunello.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-02-2004).]

- winoweenie - 10-02-2004

KC. Did I evewr disclose that IK graduated amnga cum laube frun the weeners advanced tipin'101? WW

- Innkeeper - 10-02-2004

Snort.

- dananne - 10-03-2004

It may be overrated, overhyped, and/or overpriced, but I'd sure like to try a Vega Sicilia Unico someday, just to see what the fuss is all about.

I'd also love to have an older vintage Ygay Gran Reserva from Murrieta. Like a 1970, or similar.

- Kcwhippet - 10-03-2004

IK's typing looks fine to me.

- wondersofwine - 10-03-2004

That's because he edited it, KC.
I would vote for the Valpolicella out of the ones you listed but that is my own preference. Actually, I'd go for the Burgundy or Bordeaux that you marked offlimits.

- Zinner - 10-03-2004

I've had the Unico and loved it enough that I bought a bottle when I was rambling around Spain. And I seldom buy in that price range. Stuff is darned hard to find anyway.