WineBoard
What IS it about Red Zinfandel? ? ? Help! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What IS it about Red Zinfandel? ? ? Help! (/thread-18573.html)

- Marti - 12-05-2003

Dear Wine Afficionados,

I am new to wine drinking and fine that I am much more into whites. However, Red Zinfandel is a red wine that I can tolerate and even enjoy. There is something about Red Zinfandels--both smell and taste and aftertaste--that is markedly different than Syrahs, Merlots, Cabs, Pinots, etc. What is it? I cannot put my finger on it! Any adjectives describing the differences between these reds, especially why I might tolerate the red zin. would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!!!

- winoweenie - 12-05-2003

Red and Black berries, cocao, varying spices, tons of up-front fruit to begin with. WW

- Marti - 12-05-2003

Thank you Wino. Is it possible that Red Zins have less of a tannic taste? I keep hearing about this quality....

- amw5g - 12-05-2003

Tannins aren't a taste, they are more of a tactile sensation. Kinda like when you bite an under-ripe banana or drink strong tea- it gives you that weird feeling on your tongue and gums. Those are the tannins.
I'm sure others will expound upon that better than I can.
-Andrew

- Drew - 12-06-2003

Actually tannins do have a flavor profile for me ranging from bitter to sweet but the mouth puckering/cotton feeling in you mouth is the tannic response you first experience. I also find that tannins display an assortment of texture from fine grain to coarse. For me Zins differ from others in that they display racy intense fruit and spice.

Drew

- amw5g - 12-06-2003

Drew,
Curious....I though that tannins could *enhance* the 4/5 tastes: salty, sweet, bitter, sour & (possibly) umami. But they themselves did not have a flavor. Much like temperature or texture can contribute to the overall mouthfeel. So what you are saying is that the tannins are a bitter agent themselves?
Good to know, thanks for the clarification.
-Andrew

[This message has been edited by amw5g (edited 12-06-2003).]

- Drew - 12-06-2003

Here's a definition of tannin that I subscribe to and I, like you, believed the same until I started to focus on wines individual components and complexities while tasting wines of different ages and styles.

"Any of a group of astringent substances found in the seeds, skins, and stems of grapes, as well as in oak barrels, particularly new ones. Tannins are part of a grouping technically called phenolic compounds. They are important in the production of good red wines because they provide flavor, structure, and texture and, because of their antioxidant traits, contribute to long and graceful aging. Tannins often give young wines a noticeable astringency, a quality that diminishes as the wine ages, mellows, and develops character. Wines with noticeable tannins are referred to as tannic. Tannins are detectable by a dry, sometimes puckery, sensation in the mouth and back of the throat."

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-06-2003

And when they are particularly strong, they can make your teeth itch.

- quijote - 12-06-2003

The bitterness of tannins attributed to wine here sounds like the puckery and bitter "tea-bag" effect of tannins in overbrewed tea.

Beyond texture and grain size, are all tannins basically alike? Are wine tannins basically the same as tea tannins? Or are they different in other ways, due to their different origins (seeds and skins in wine versus whatever creates tannins in tea)?

- Marti - 12-06-2003

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'm still searching for the reasons why I cannot tolerate pinots or syrahs very well. The aftertaste is different than with Red zins.

but how to describe it I don't know.

- Thomas - 12-07-2003

The bitterness in tannin seems to lay mainly in the finish, at the back of the tongue. The cotton-mouth is definitely forward of the finish.

As for Pinot Noir, Syrah and Zinfandel differences--here is an idea. The first one usually has the more acidity (not tannic acid, but tartaric), the second one usually has a more peppery or raisin-like quality (ripeness plays a role) the last is more berry like, also with acidity but also with a lot of fruit. Each of the three usually has fairly strong tannins, but that is a measure of individual ripeness plus the winemaking processes to which each is subjected.

Hope the above helps you determine why you like Zinfandel over the others. I should also say that it is a gross generalization.

To quijote, tannin is tannin, no matter from where it comes. But levels of tannins differ as does its concentration (ripeness of the product), not to mention means of extracting tannins (fermenting wine under hot or cool temperatures, brewing tea in boiling water, et al). Every one of the above plays a role in the intensity of tannin's feel and its attack.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-07-2003).]