WineBoard
Finding Wine in Atlanta or Wine Clubs OnLine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Finding Wine in Atlanta or Wine Clubs OnLine (/thread-18535.html)

- Classic - 05-23-2005

Hi,

I have been lurking on here reading for a couple of weeks now and here is my first post. Yeah !!

I have been drinking wine on and off for most of my life, but was not really a "wine person". My mother and aunt were always really into it. Taking trips to wine country, collecting, tasting etc... perhaps that's why I never really got into it, as it was their thing. Anyway, fast forward to now. My wife and I have really gotten into it over the last few months. I had always been out on the fringe of it. I would always bring a few bottles back from Paris or Rome if I were there for vacation, and of course would drink a ton of wine when I was there, but now I am INTO IT. For our wedding we received some nice bottles of champagne as gifts, a box display of the 1996 Dom, a bottle of 1995 Dom, and one of those hand painted sets of glasses and bottle of Perrier Jouet. We recently purchased a large wine cabinet, that was made for an upscale restaurant, at an auction. It has the cooler to keep it at 55 degrees and holds over 600 bottles. They actually have another I am trying to get. Anyway... we have been buying bottles to taste and to age, have been reading Wine Spectator, got the Wine for Dummies book, been reading on the internet, asking questions etc... etc...

Wow, finally to my question....after all that....

I am in the Atlanta, Ga. area and I am looking for recommendations on the best places to buy wine from. Preferably somewhere with a good selection but also a friendly, knowledgeable staff. Somewhere where they will take the time to help and where there recommendations are actually worth a hoot. I was also thinking about joining one of these on-line wine clubs, where you get a couple of bottles or more every month. Any recommendations on these? Would love to try some of the boutique California wines and would like to get some more bottles to age. Are there Any of these small California vineyards that are especially good that you can still get on their mailing lists with reasonable prices? Or have they all already gone the way of Screaming Eagle? What about importers? Really looking for any and all advice at this point.

THANKS !!!

- winoweenie - 05-23-2005

Hi Classic and welcome to the board. Unfortunately, you live in a state that has some major problems about wine shipping laws. There are several members on the board from Atlanta who can be of assistance with the better wine shops. I haven't been goinf south for over 10 years now so my data is outta' date. WW

- Classic - 05-23-2005

Actually I understand, that as of recently we can receive wine here in Atlanta by mail, maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.... Also, I noticed looking at some of the wine clubs on-line who listed the states they could not ship to, Georgia was not on their lists of no ship states. I am not positive though as I am originally from Chicago and the only person I know that has gotten wine by mail is my Mother, also in Chicago.

THANKS !!

- dananne - 05-23-2005

Hi, Classic, and welcome to the board. We actually have a few things in common -- I'm in Atlanta, and I am from Chicago, too. Well, Chicago/Wisconsin, but that's another story.

Anyway, I hopefully can give some advice on Atlanta wine stores. We have a pretty good selection of stores, but obviously having a knowledgeable and friendly staff is a big plus.

Here's a rundown on some of my haunts:

Wine Gallery and Market -- located at corner of Piedmont and Sidney Marcus -- good selection of more difficult to find wines across price points -- you were looking for some smaller, boutique Cali stuff, and you'll find it here

Tower -- the Piedmont location in Buckhead -- especially good for basic, everyday drinking wines, with a large selection overall -- good prices, probably the best around town

Sherlocks -- two locations I buy at, but I prefer the Northside Dr. location due to a friendly and knowledgeable staff -- higher prices, but some neat stuff that you don't see elsewhere -- the other location is on Peachtree in Brookhaven attached to a Cook's Warehouse -- again, good selection, but the prices are a bit higher still

Atlanta Wine Merchants -- crazy little place in Cobb County that looks like nothing from the outside, and has an odd selection inside, but specializes in difficult-to-find higher-end Burgundy

Finally, I do a good bit of shopping at the Ponce de Leon location of Whole Foods market. They have a very nice selection, pretty good (but not great) prices, and a nice staff (ask for Brian). They've got some harder-to-find Cali stuff, too.

Let me know your thoughts and impressions if/when you visit any of the above. It might help me point you in additional directions.

Again, welcome to the board!

- wondersofwine - 05-24-2005

Welcome! My advice would be to hold off on a wine club until you develop more favorites. For example, I have now ordered Pinot Noir by mail from two California wineries and I'm on the mailing list for another. I am considering ordering Zinfandel from a California winery and Pinot Noir from one or more Oregon wineries. But most clubs will want to send you Chardonnay and Merlot, etc. along with their Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon or whatever is your favorite. I'd prefer to order only those I really want, not all the varietals the winery sells.
It may or may not be legal for the wine club to ship to you in Georgia.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-24-2005).]

- Classic - 05-24-2005

Thanks for the help !! I live in Marietta and I work in Atlanta, on Piedmont as a matter of fact, so I am very familiar with this area. I have been to that Tower Liquor before, in fact I picked up my cases of prosecco for my wedding toasts there, but it's been a while since I have stopped by there, maybe I will try them again. I have been going to Minks off of Delk road which is on my way home. They have an impressive collection of wines, but so far I have not been very impressed with their helpfulness, especially considering I have been stopping in and buying wine about 3 or 4 times a week lately. I had no idea there was a specialty wine store at Piedmont and Sydney, right down the street from me at work. I will go by there today or tomorrow and check it out. I have been to Sherlocks before and they were ok, just not what I was looking for. I have also been to Whole Foods and they are ok as well, but didn't seem to have any helpful or knowledgeable people. I guess I was kind of hoping to find a small specialty wine store with a large selection (not a liquor store) with people passionate about wine with a lot of knowledge and a fun attitude. Also I have read on the board about wholesalers and importers that people buy from locally in their area and would love to find out if we have something similar in our area. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will definitely check out Wine Gallery and Market and Atlanta Wine Merchants (do you know where they are located exactly off the top of your head, if not, nor worries, I'll look it up)

THANKS !!

- dananne - 05-24-2005

Sorry -- I realize that I gave the wrong name.

It's called Merchants Package -- 1272 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta 770-321-9194

You're neck of the woods, too! The staff there is passionate, but it's best known for it's French offerings, especially Burgundies. It's wacky, too, as it looks like nothing from the outside, and inside things are "indifferently organized," with Vosne-Romanee mingling in boxes on the floor with Gaja. But, they know their stuff.

My favorite of the above is Wine Gallery & Market. They're located on the corner around the back of that shopping center, sort of near that Michael's.

I agree with your take on Mink's -- I just didn't like the folks up there. Plus, I live downtown, so it's a hike for me to get up there. Tower is what it is -- large selection and cheap prices, though you're not going to get a lot of help there. I can't stand most of the Sherlock's locations, but there's a good guy named Brendon who works at the Northside location who is good, and who has done some nice special orders for me in the past. You're right about Whole Foods, too -- if Brian isn't there, I don't even bother to ask for any advice. He's another good guy, though, and he is loyal to his loyal customers, getting them gems from the back that aren't being sold on the shelves yet, making small, special orders, etc.

For the hard-to-find Cali stuff for which you seem to be looking, in a smaller specialty store, WG&M just may be the ticket. Let me know what you think if/when you stop in.