WineBoard
Looking for a book about the Tokay Valley - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for a book about the Tokay Valley (/thread-18534.html)

- peewee - 08-29-2002

I am looking for a book about the Tokaj Wine / the Tokay Valley. I have tried already through the internet but somehow i couldnt find any. I hope someone could help me since it means a lot to me that i would find one. Thanks!

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2002

Welcome to the board. amazon.com lists a used book on Hungarian wines. That might be a start.

- peewee - 08-29-2002

thanks, .. but i have tried already amazon.com and they dont seem to have any. and if they have then they are out of print or not available anymore. then i have tried also amazon.de as sometimes they have different books.
any other ideas? well, .. found one book but it is un hungarian, .. that wont be any use for me.
thanks

- fangi - 08-29-2002

half.com has: "wine & thorns in tokay valley: jewish life in hungary the history of abaujszanto." But it's 57 bucks, hardly a bargain. Amazon sells the same book at $49.00, so that's a better deal.

The hungarian wine books on half.com seem to be few and out of print.

You could always buy the 49 dollar book, read it hard, and resell it used.

Um, have you tried the big library or university library in your area? If they don't have your book, they may be able to do the ever-popular interlibrary loan for you.

good luck,
bf

- peewee - 08-30-2002

Thanks, but unfurtunatly this book you recommended isnt about the wine tokaji it is about a woman living in one of the cities where they make the wine.
I am actually just looking for a book about the tokaji wine, .. how to keep it, where it comes from, how long you can keep it, what kind of different brands their exits etc, ..... but it seems quite hopeless!
lets try it differently does anybody know if there exits a book about hungarian wines?? .. since in that book they should also talk about the tokaji wines.
Hopefully somebody can help me! Thanks

- hotwine - 08-30-2002

There's an excellent description of Tokay (Tokaji) in the Larousse Encyclopedia of Wine on page 455: how and where it is made, aging ("the best wines can easily age for two centuries") (!), the characteristics of the various styles (sugar content, years in oak, etc.). Very informative.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 08-30-2002).]

- peewee - 08-30-2002

Thanks,.. i didnt thought of looking it up! but there is a slight problem, .. that book (if it exits) is supposed to be a present for my boyfriend which likes a lot tokaji wine and i couldnt really buy him a Encyclopedia of Wine. you dont think that there is a book about hungarian wines? i dont understand, .. there are so many guides about french, spanish, etc wines but none for hungarian, croatian, .. wines. how come?

[This message has been edited by peewee (edited 08-30-2002).]

- hotwine - 08-30-2002

There are probably plenty of books available on the subject... in the Hungarian language. You're in a better position to find those than we are in the States. I classify Tokay as a regional wine, not widely distributed outside Central Europe, so it comes as no surprise to me that there are no books on the subject available (in English) on this side of the pond. Members of the Hungarian diplomatic staff resident in Austria could probably assist you. Most consular offices have "business liaisons", people who specialize in answering questions from host nationals about their countries' products; suggest you let your fingers do the walking through your telephone directory to locate a Hungarian consulate; you might even be able to locate an official who has quite an extensive library on the subject, or can point you to someone who does.

- peewee - 08-30-2002

Thanks a lot! I didnt know that the tokaji wine is a local wine, .. as it is a very good one, .. i like it.
i will try to locate a friend, .. his father is a hungarian diplomat. i just didnt know that u can actually ask those people such questions, .. but i assume its worth a try.
and just on the side, .. there are actually also no books in german about the tokaji wine thats why i was woundering if there exits a generel guide book about eastern wines.
but thanks for the suggestion. i hope i can track down a book. that would be great. but it seems not very easy.

- hotwine - 08-30-2002

Found a Website of interest, at http://www.gotohungary.com/history/winecountry.shtml

Looks like you could participate in the October harvest as an opportunity to learn more about Hungarian wines.

- peewee - 09-02-2002

thanks for the info on the web-page. it is very informative, ..
but i am still trying to find a guide book on hungarian wines but i've talked to hungarian diplomat and he promised to help me out. ... its always good to have such contacts. i'll let you guys know if there actually exits such a book, .. but only of someone is interested.

- barnesy - 09-07-2002

Try www.powells.com

This is a used book store in the city I live in. It has several branches in town, the main one being a full city block and mulptiple floors big. They might have something.

Barnesy

- MuddyOne - 09-10-2002

You might also try calling/writing some wineries in the region. Most companies know what books they are in.