WineBoard
storing wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: storing wine (/thread-18482.html)

- johhny cosmo - 05-08-2001

I have a question on the proper storage of wine. I have resently purchased some french and california wines between 20-35yrs. of age.
I don't have a proper wine cellar or even a basement. I was wanting to know how long the wine would keep, stored at room temp.(approx.65-75 degrees)., before turning into salad dressing. thanks!

- Innkeeper - 05-08-2001

Hi Johhny Cosmo, and welcome to the Wine Board. If you scroll down the board to the bottom you will find a thread called "Storage/Cellars/Racking." If you "Go back" 100 days or so, you will find a wealth of information.

- winecollector - 05-09-2001

In the meantime, it would be wise to find a place that can store your wines for you for a fee. Warmer temps can kill an already aged wine rather quickly.

- winoweenie - 05-09-2001

Welcome to the board... What WC said is true, IF they aren't dead already. It takes a good wine from a good producer and from a good vintage to see a quarter of a hun and still be drinkable. If you post the particulars on your purchase someone on the board will either say ATTABOY or SORRY!! WW

- johhny cosmo - 05-09-2001

Hey thanks for the imput
what I've aquired is a '66 Ch Lynch Bages, '66 Ch Palmer, '70 BV Pr. RS., '82 Martini Pinot Noir, '81 Martini 6bt RS sampler, '86 Ch Clerc Milon, and '78 Sonoma Cab. About the storage problem, should I put them in my refridgerator until I get a wine cooler.
thanks.

- winecollector - 05-09-2001

Don't recommend the fridge.... how long are you talkin? Do you have central air? A fridge is not really a good idea. You need proper storage if you intend to keep them any length of time.

As far as your wines, both 66's may still be drinkable, but likely beyond peak. Your 70 BV should be holding up fine. Doubt either of your Martini products are any good.... open them sometime, and hope for the best. Your Clerc Milon should be just fine, and will continue to age further most likely for some while. I'll let winoweenie comment on your 78 Sonoma cab, he knows more about them than I, but 78 was a great year for california cabs, and it may still be hanging in there. But please understand, that all this is based on these wines having proper storage before you acquired them. And, the sooner you get them properly stored, the better. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-09-2001).]

- johhny cosmo - 05-10-2001

thanks for the comments. I was wondering on the martini evaluation. The 6 bt sampler from '81 are all 100% cab and were aged in oak barrels for 3yrs. Do these aspects of the wine make any difference in their aging prospect.

- johhny cosmo - 05-10-2001

Hey everyone.
Well after thinking I may have bought some vinegar, I opened a '66 lynch bages and it tastes great. Suprisingly still full of fruit with a carmel velvetiness and a finish until tommorrow.

- winecollector - 05-10-2001

For some reason, the sample bottles do not usually hold up well for ageing, guessing due to the size of the air space in there below the cork. To go along with this idea, larger bottles, like 1.5, 3, and 5 liter bottles will usually hold up better over the years than their 750ml counterparts. Generally speaking, most better quality wines in 750ml bottles from 81' are past peak. But the only way to know for sure, is to open one up, and hope for the best. Good luck!

- winecollector - 05-10-2001

Glad to here it was good! Hopefully, the Palmer will still be good too then.

- johhny cosmo - 05-11-2001

I am curious about the sonoma vineyards '78 cab. Still good at this age? thanks.

- winoweenie - 05-12-2001

Hi Cosmos and welcome to the board. In regards to the 78 Sonoma cab, sorry to say the wine wasn't a major player when it was released and almost all of the 78 cabs are dead or dying. This one is a goner. The Martinis don't have much of a chance either. As far as the 70 BV, I'd reccommend opening it soon as this was one great bottle. I drank my last bottle in 97 and found it to be on the down-side and I have excellent storage. Hopefully you'll be lucky and it's still drinkable.WW

- johhny cosmo - 06-30-2001

I just tried an '82 pinot, from martini vineyards, that I had recently purchased. It was great. Still very fruity with deep character of tastes and a long finish: as was a 78 Sonoma vineyards cab. that I recently finished off.

Actually the 66 Bages Lynch seems to be the most over the hill, out of the bunch, so far. And it was really good.

- johhny cosmo - 06-30-2001

Oh yea. I also had a Question about storage.
For a small refrigeration unit why would'nt you want to use a small frigerator from an appliance store rather than the three times as expensive official wine cooling unit? Thanks for any info.

cosmo

- Drew - 06-30-2001

Refridgerators can be used if the thermostat is replaced to operate at a higher temperature and humidity levels can be brought to proper levels for wine storage.

Drew

- barnesy - 07-01-2001

The fridge temp is way too cold and will kill the wine. They do sell items that you can plug into fridges that will opperate the current thermo and compressor in the fridge in much less frequent bursts so that the fridge will keep itself at a warmer temp.

Barnesy

- johhny cosmo - 07-02-2001

would you happen to where I would find these thermostatic controls for a frig? thanks.

cosmo

- barnesy - 07-02-2001

www.winestat.com

That is the only one I can remember. It seemed like the better of the one or two I found.

I have thought about buying one of the those large upright freezers (used) and getting the freezer addon to the winestat. This way you don't have a portion of the fridge thats unusable. All of it could be used for storage...or rather the single freezing compartment instead of a two compartment one in which you only use the fridge part. But I don't have the resources for the set up or the wine to fill it with, so my 24 bottle vinotemp cooler will suffice for now. You can find these for about 200 to 300. This will be about the cost of your fridge/winestat combo.

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 07-02-2001).]