WineBoard
Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir (/thread-18470.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- littlefools - 10-14-2003

I bought a bottle of Pinot Noir, which is a Cavit collection, Delle Venezie 2002 and was wondering what your thoughts were for this? I usually do not drink Pinot's, I stick with Merlots I think because they are fuller. Although this was good, it was to light for me. Any others that are a deeper and fuller red? Like many others, I prefer to stay in the $10 to $20 doller range.
[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] Tammy

- sensimil - 10-14-2003

id like to add my input here...though Im not familair with pinto noirs personally, I find that castle rock and duck pond do very well in the store...id like to know input on this as well compared to the cavit..id point people towards these others before the cavit..

- Kcwhippet - 10-14-2003

Cavit made their reputation initially as the house wine for the Olive Garden restaurant chain. Their wines are OK for what they are - an inexpensive wine for beginner or occasional wine drinkers. There a bunch more better PN's out there for just a few more $ - Pepperwood Grove, Hacienda, Estancia and quite a few more PN's from CA.

- littlefools - 10-15-2003

I have made a note on the wines you suggested and plan on purchasing a bottle today on my way home to give a try. I am definatly not a beginner wine drinker, or occasional either (I do enjoy a glassor two while cooking dinner), and mabee that is why the Cavit does not fancy me to much. I also have a bottle of Woodbridge Merlot, by Robert Mondavi, 2000, which is pretty good. I still prefer the Yellow Tail Australian Merlots. I have tried the Shiratz (spelling?), which is a white wine, (thought it was red) and did not like it at all!! Nasty after taste. Any others I can add to my list to fill my wine rack with???

- Innkeeper - 10-15-2003

Agree with the recommendations above and would add Villa Mt Eden, HRM Rex-Goliath, and Joseph Drouhin LaForet. These range in price from $8 - $14.

- Kcwhippet - 10-15-2003

littlefools,

If you got a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz and it had white wine in it, then there's something terribly wrong. Yellow Tail Shiraz is most definitely a red wine. We sell about ten cases a week that one. BTW, Yellow Tail has now come out with a Reserve Shiraz. Spoke with some ITB Aussies last week and they say the Yellow Tail wasn't available in Australia. It was made strictly for the U.S. export market.

- wondersofwine - 10-15-2003

Second IK's recommendation of Villa Mt. Eden Pinot Noir for a decent inexpensive P.N. In the $20-$30 range I like Bearboat Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley, CA) and Byron (Santa Maria Valley--distributed by Gallo). You might also find Argyle Pinot Noir (their basic P.N.) from Oregon for under $20. It can be a very enjoyable, fruity wine.

- Auburnwine - 10-15-2003

Definite yes on Villa Mt. Eden. Stands up against much more expensive Pinots.

I had a glass of the Yellow Tail Reserve this weekend. Not bad. On par with most recent vintages of Rosemont diamond label.

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img] Oh My! What was I drinking then?
I am positive it was Yellow Tail Shiraz, and it was most definatly white. It had a yellow lable. I bought the Shiraz because I love the Merlot by Yellow Tail and figured it would be just as good. It was horrible!!
I am going to buy another bottle on my way home tonight just to see if its white or red. I will let you know what I find.

- ShortWiner - 10-15-2003

My guess is that you bought a Yellowtail Chardonnay. They are often placed next to one another in a store display.

- dananne - 10-15-2003

If you go back a little bit on the Pinot thread, you'll see a "House Pinot Recommendations" thread, in which I've taken some recs from others and have some brief notes on some of the less expensive ones I've tried in the past year. I'll second (or third) the Villa Mt. Eden, but would also suggest Leaping Lizard Los Carneros Pinot Noir (CA -- $10), Greyback Pinot Noir (OR -- $10), and Benton Lane (OR -- $13). An inexpensive, simple Pinot choice could also be Brancott (New Zealand -- $9). Hope these suggestions help [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

well, I guess thats must be what it was, but I could have sworn it was a shiraz....I have to go look just to ease my curiosity and check out the bottles.whatever it was, it was unpleasant!

I also did make a note on the Pinot's that were suggested earlier in the thread, thank you very much for the remecondations...I will try them.

[This message has been edited by littlefools (edited 10-15-2003).]

- wineguruchgo - 10-18-2003

Just my opinion. I think that Pinot Noirs are severly under appreciated by all of America. I happen to love them. If you are sitting around with friends or at night watching tv and are thinking of a glass of wine, please try a Pinot Noir and have a little cheese with it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to drink.

FYI!! Byron is owned and distributed by Mondavi!!

- littlefools - 10-20-2003

Ok, First of all, the Austrailian Shiraz was a red wine and apologize for the "I am positive if must have been red" attitude. The wine I purchased must have been the Austrailian white wine "Chardanay".
The Shiraz was very good, I enjoyed it. I also purchased some wined mentioned, which was the Pepperwood Pinot Noir. Also very good. The Villa Mt Eden was not available so the gentleman in the wine store recommended the Camelot Pinot Noir, which was good but I preferred the Pepperwood. I also tried the Columbia Crest Grand Estates. That also was good, but thought it left a little more aftertaste. So, thank you for your recomendations and look forward to trying more. The Villa Mt. Eden is next if I can find it .
Tammy [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 10-20-2003

wineguru from Chicago is right about Byron. I knew it was from the Mondavi family of wines but mispoke (mistyped actually). With Gallo responsible for Rancho Zabaco, Woodbrigdge (I think) and a bunch of other brands, sometimes it seems like they own everything!

- Innkeeper - 10-20-2003

No, Woodbridge is Mondavi's, but don't get me started on what Gallo owns, and they are now #2.

- Drew - 10-21-2003

Gallo =

E & J, Livingston Cellars, Sheffield, Carlo Rossi, Turning Leaf,
Fairbanks, Gallo of Sonoma, Gossamer Bay, Anapamu,
Bella Sera, Andre, Ballatore, Eden Roc (discontinued), Tott's,
Ecco Domani, Rancho Zabaco, Marcelina, Bartles & Jaymes,
Boones Farm, Hornsby's Cider, Wild Vines, Peter Vella, Redwood Creek, GofS Estate, Frei Brothers, Indigo Hills
MacMurray Ranch, Twin Valley Vineyards
Gallo recently purchased Louis Martini Winery & Mirrasou
Restaurant only labels : Burlwood, Copperidge, William Wycliff Vineyards (not available retail)
Private label: Alcott Ridge (Wal-Mart);
Timberwood Vineyards (Albertsons / Sav-on)

Drew

- wondersofwine - 10-21-2003

So it was Turning Leaf, not Woodbridge.

- littlefools - 10-21-2003

So I take it that Gallo wines are good?

- ShortWiner - 10-21-2003

Generally speaking, most of the regulars here don't drink them much. But regulars here are by definition people who are students of wine and interested in wines that challenge them in some way. Most Gallo wines can't be said to be particularly exciting to someone who has had a lot of wine experiences. That said, you might very well enjoy them. I in no way want to discourage you!