WineBoard
Amount needed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Amount needed (/thread-18458.html)

- William Tobin - 10-13-2000

Helping my daughter with her wedding plans. Is there a rule of thumb about how much wine you need per guest? She's planning to have both red and white on the table plus beer for the others. Also for the Champagne toast is there a rule for that too.

- ChefMax - 10-13-2000

Really think about how many people will actually be drinking wine. There are frighteningly many who do not enjoy wine and would prefer beer and cocktails. Analyze your guest list in order to target the wine drinkers and be realistic. For instance, if there are a lot of blue-haired ladies in the bunch, a Barolo's not going to be a big hit while a sweeter white might be. Your object is to please your guests, not educate them. As for the champagne, It is only necessary to provide one serving per guest for the toast. I would have a few extra bottles as the couple of the hour may want to indulge in it. Remember also that at most weddings, a really great sparkling wine can not only appeal to your guests' palates, but also keep your wallet healthy and green. I hope this helps. Congrats to the happy couple!

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2000

One rule of thumb is two cases of both red and white, and one case of bubbly per 100 people. It is best to have a return agreement with the vendor.

- Drew - 10-13-2000

Just wait a minute ChefMax....my grandma read this post and takes offense to your post describing "blue haired ladies". She's a hip, spunky 80 year old who has silver hair and can keep up with the under 30 crowd!
I think an apology is in order! You know you have to watch your posts on this board!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 10-14-2000).]

- mrdutton - 10-13-2000

For that matter my wife and I are serious candidates for up and coming silver hairs...... and we think we are quite hip..

Just say something, dig the hole deeper!

- mrdutton - 10-13-2000

And OH BY THE WAY, we are not much older than Drew. GRIN

- winoweenie - 10-14-2000

Yeah!!!!! I feel I`m being attacked by unknown assailants for being on Medicaid. winoweenie. I be pretty hip too

- Thomas - 10-14-2000

I would be hip too had I not lost my hips to age... .

As for the wedding question, I look at it this way: get as good a wine as you can (about half bottle per person) and if there is any left over, either let the wedding couple have it or let the dad who pays for the wedding have it.

As for sparkling wine: in my opinion, it is better to have none than to serve that cheap stuff with bubbles the size of cannon balls, and since most caterers haven't a clue what a true champagne glass is, it is also a good idea to discuss that with your caterer too, especially if you want to serve good sparkling wine. And with sparkling good can mean a fine Cava from Spain or a domestic of some pedigree.

- ChefMax - 10-16-2000

OK, OK, I meant silver-haired old ladies who play bingo and eat Lean Cuisine.
Really, if you're going to appeal to a wine-educated crowd-GREAT! I've just had dealings with the everyday/layman's sort, I suppose. Weddings are memorable for many reasons and rarely what sort of bubbly is served for the toast. At that special moment, few will taste the selection, the speech is what matters.
Don't get me wrong, if you have the green, go for the best!

- Garbo - 10-24-2000

Good news/bad news: There are no rules! Sticking with beer & wine will keep it cheaper than if you have cocktails (depending on the wine, of course). You don't even have to do a champagne toast if bride & groom don't want to have one -- just have people toast with whatever they're drinking. IK's advice about return policy is key -- if you can return unopened bottles, or full cases, then buy more than you think you'll need and return what you don't use.