WineBoard
definition of first growth? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: definition of first growth? (/thread-18448.html)

- PortAh - 01-02-2002

Heard it many times.
What is the definition of first growth
in Bordeaux?
They were not the first 5 to grow grapes
over that region, were they?

Thanks.

- PortAh - 01-02-2002

Actually I am asking what this term "first growth" really means. I dont mean to tie to a particular region, I just pickup bordeaux as
an example.

Thanks.

- Bucko - 01-03-2002

First Growth is the English equivalent of a Premier Cru. While there are many regions with premier cru vineyards, Bordeaux is usually understood to be the region referred to when first growths are mentioned, and red wines are implied (d'Yquem is a premier cru). There are eight wines usually considered first growths.

- winoweenie - 01-03-2002

Portah the French did a strange thing back in 1855. They decided they would designate the quality of the vineyards. Being of sound mind they reasoned that the price being paid for a bottle of the juice should correctly determine the quality. The 1st classification had only 4 1st growths. After over a century of making great wine, Mouton was added in the 70's. This is the only change in the classification of the 1sts' since the original designation. Today there are 5 official 1st growths. WW

- Scoop - 01-03-2002

WW is correct: Offically, in Bordeaux's 1855 system, there are 5 "first growths": Chateaux Latour, Haut Brion, Lafite Rothschild, Margaux and Mouton Rothschild (the latecomer!).

As Bucko implies, however, there are some others that are held in similar regard, like Ch. Cheval Blanc and Ausone in St. Emillion (and St. Emillion has its own classification system!), and d'Yquem in Sauternes.

But while people still pay a lot of attention to these classifications, when it comes to legal issues and geographical indications, it is the AOC (Appellation d'origin et controllee) regulations, both at the national and the European Union level, that take precedence.

Cheers,

Scoop

[This message has been edited by Scoop (edited 01-04-2002).]

- winoweenie - 01-03-2002

Soop lose a "C" ebber now-n-thin. WW

- Thomas - 01-04-2002

Back in 1787 Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to a wine agent with which he worked. In it he listed his impression of the top Bordeaux wines. The prescient Jefferson's top four was dead-on exact what the French decided in 1855.

It likely wasn't just the price paid for the wines that gave the French the reasoning. It was their affection for Thomas Jefferson and the American Revolution that did it!!!

- Bucko - 01-04-2002

That is a piece of history that I did not know....

- barnesy - 01-04-2002

To make matters even more fun, Chateau d'Yquem is classified, in the Sauternes and Barsac classification, Premier Cru Superieur (Superior First Growth). Which is a step above First Growth. Thats why you get the opportunity to pay 250 big bones for a half bottle.

Barnesy