WineBoard
Meeting My Boyfriend's Parents for the First Time!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Meeting My Boyfriend's Parents for the First Time!! (/thread-18440.html)

- Candy - 11-14-2005

I have been invited to my boyfriend's parents house for Thanksgiving. I am meeting them for the first time. I offered to bring wine as my contribution. I don't drink wine personally, so I don't know the first thing about picking a good wine. I am told that turkey and lamb will be the main meets for the evening. I really want to impress them, but I also have to consider my budget. I am willing to spend a total of $250. Please help!

- robr - 11-14-2005

Wow! You have a pretty big wine budget. I would get a couple of bottles of good German Riesling (NOT Blue Nun or Black Tower, get the good stuff, like Dr. Loosen), and a couple of bottles of Pinot Noir, and maybe a bottle of Champagne (not too dry) and a bottle of German eiswine, or Canadian icewine (same thing) for afters.

This should be enough wine for 12 people, so you can adjust accordingly.

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 11-14-2005).]

- andypandy - 11-15-2005

$250! I wish I had that kind of wine budget...just my two cents is that you don't necessarily have to spend a lot on wine to get a decent wine. I have found that I am probably just as likely to enjoy a certain bottle of wine regardless of whether it cost $12 or $30 (I've never spent more than that on a single bottle of wine).

- micpic8 - 11-16-2005

How many people will be at dinner? I will base my suggestions on 10 people. I agree the pinot noir would be a good match for the lamb. Look for Hangtime, David Bruce - central coast or sonoma, and Mark West. All these are nice. 2 btls should be enough, as most will have turkey. I would suggest bringing a bottle of cabernet sauvignon or merlot for those who don't like pinot or just want a different red wine. I would go with a merlot based on the menu, even though I'm not a merlot person. For merlots go with Oberon, Turnbull, Shafer, or Rodney Strong. Now for the white wine to go with turkey. The Dr Loosen that was suggested is nice and will work, or look for S.A. Prum Essence Riesling (this does have some sweetness to it). Pinot Grigios are very popular right now and will go well too. Get Villa Marijia if you can find it. If not look for Santa Margaritta or Ca Bolani. If you want to really WOW them go with my favorite white wine, Conundrum by Caymus. It will run you about $24 a bottle, but it is worth it. You will need about 4 bottles of white wine I'd say. If you want to bring a dessert wine I suggest 2 bottles of R Mondavi Muscat d'Oro or Bonny Doon Muscat, or just bring a bottle of Porto. For ports there is Fronseca's Bin 27 or Taylor Fladgate's Late Bottle Vintage. I hope this helps you, and please let us know how it goes.