WineBoard
What are you drinking? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What are you drinking? (/thread-18369.html)

- lizardbrains - 01-02-2005

Okay, sorry for the crazy subject line! It gave me a laugh!!! :-)

I just read your top 10s for the year, and I'm struck by something. Do most of you drink non-American wines?

When I first started drinking wine (3 years ago), I was so overwhelmed. I found you all here (love ya!), read Wine for Dummies (on your recommendation - thank you!), and decided to start with American wines b/c they seemed easy to understand (ie: Chardonnay is Chardonnay, so then I just have to decide which "brand" of Chardonnay I like - I was/am a total newbie).

Now that I know what I like in the U.S., maybe I need to step out of my comfort zone.

I really liked some South African wines that IK shared with me (thanks IK!). So, I know that there's a whole big world ready for me to step into! I guess it's kind of like getting off the bus on your first day of school.

Where do I start? I am happy in my little bubble of American wines - it's easy! But help me realize the greater potential!

Thanks!,
Elizabeth

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2005

You can start with those lists you looked at. Then check out the specific threads on wines you might be interested in, e.g. Italian, South of France, Australian, etc. Tons of good info there.

- Drew - 01-02-2005

My cellar is probably 50% American (Mostly California), 30% Australian and 20% everything else, (France, S. Africa, S. America, Italian). I feel relatively comfortable with most countries except Italy which I'm just starting to explore more.

Drew

- joeyz6 - 01-02-2005

Lizardbrains, there are definitely a few different directions you could go in. If you want to try other New World wines that might show some similarity to the California wines you've had, go for places like Australia or Chile. If you want to contrast what you've had, go for Europe. There's an endless wealth of wines from numerous countries there, and many great values as well.
Take France for example: If you like Chardonnay, then try a Macon (that's Chardonnay made in Burgundy). If you want Cabernet, try some red Bordeaux. If you want Syrah, then try a Cotes du Rhone from E. Guigal, for example.

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2005

Liz you might change your profile to show that you now live in Temucula. That won't change anything else like your number of posts, etc; hopefully.

- wondersofwine - 01-04-2005

I probably have more European and Australian wines in my collection than American. The American wines I have are mostly Pinot Noir and Zinfandels with a few California and Washington Cabernet Sauvignons. (I also have some possibly over-the-hill California Chards that I am looking to give away to someone because it goes against the grain to just pour them down the drain and I'm no longer interested in most Cal Chards.)
My European wines run to Burgundy reds and whites, Beaujolais Cru, Sauvignon Blanc and German Rieslings with the occasional Spanish or Italian red or Northern Rhone wine and a few Ports. My Australian wines are mostly Shiraz or red blended wines with a few Cabernet Sauvignon and an occasional Riesling or unoaked Chardonnay. I also like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and have several of those on hand. Tonight I plan to open a Beaujolais and next weekend probably a Northern Rhone or a California wine from Susan Selby.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-04-2005).]

- dananne - 01-04-2005

My cellar is also split about 50%/50% foreign/domestic. It's heavily weighted to reds (probably 90%, with sparlkling wines making the white % higher than it would be otherwise). The bulk of my cellar is domestic Pinot Noir (lots and lots of Oregon) and Spanish wines (my biggest section), with a large Southern Rhone section, as well. My Aussie/NZ section is pretty small right now -- I seem to have drifted away from them over the years. What's left is primarily Aussie Shiraz that isn't ready to go yet, along with some token NZ Pinot Noir. My Bordeaux and Burgundy sections are pretty small, as well, with only about 10% of my cellar space. I have a smattering of reds from Italy, Chile, Argentina, Greece, Portugal (table reds), and Lebanon (I like Chateau Musar).