WineBoard
your favorite wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: your favorite wines? (/thread-18368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- sedhed - 02-21-2004

I'm not an expert but i've had good luck with Michele Chiarlo for Babera D'Asti over the years. Prices lately are around $11 without a discount.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 02-21-2004).]

- winoweenie - 02-21-2004

Aetrae-Bubba I like your style. The old saw in real estate is " Location, Location, Location". In the world of wines it's "Tasting, Tasting, Tasting." When you get to the wonderful world of Cabernet, I'll be there. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- tandkvd - 02-21-2004

aetre, our oldest daughters boyfriend likes the Yellow Tail. I've tried it, it is good but for a few more $$ you can get alot better Austria Shiraz.

- aetre - 02-21-2004

foodie = its the next brand I buy! I feel like a nut passing over it thinking it was some cheap knockoff. Say, can anyone NAME these cheap knockoffs I'm so afraid of picking up? so many 'do's not enough 'dont's =)

sedhed = I'll take note of that (like always) and pick up some barbera next time I go out (hopefully for some wine tasting mmm!)

I've had the oppurtunity to try saki. I didn't like it at all. the first drink and I thought I'd take another sip, and then I had to set it down. I don't want to compare to a devil such as vodka, but it made me just as queezy [/shakes head in disgust just thinking about it] so that's out of my head for a while teehee =)

pinot-grigio - I liked it, but not with my food. it was a little light (better than the chard) but definately a dessert type for my taste right now. the gf loves it though, she had to take a 'nap' (still sleeping) after finishing the bottle. I want something thicker, more intense as it goes down, that's how I like it thus far. (the buttery taste of kendall-jackson, no words for this sensation!)

WW - I know cabernet will be a wonderful experience, that's why I'm holding out for the time being. It has a placeholder in my mind, I'll promise you that. You'll be the first to know what I think of it =)

tandkvd - shiraz definately stands out (because of my inexperience?) and I'm anxious to try more. What brand did you try? (I always consider price, but obviously a goal of life is to be rich someday lolol)

believe me, I have a little binder now with the different kinds, and brands listed on different pages. when I try them, I make notes of what I thought (can't remember it all!) and check them off as I go.

mymy, I've had too much drambui for a workday. I'll have to join her for slumber. work beckons soon =)

=============================

stay tuned, Sauvingnon blanc is tomorrow. I hope she doesn't try sesamie chicken again(cause you'll find me at taco bell)
night all

ciao

- quijote - 02-22-2004

Though you ought to make that trip to Premier, another good (but not like Premier) store you might visit (perhaps you already have) is Hodge Liquors on Elmwood Ave., somewhere near Bryant (close to the Allentown neighborhood). The selection isn't as good as Premier's, but the service is knowledgeable and attentive.

A note on Sake.... There are quite a few different kinds, so don't give up yet. I really like the "cloudy" (unfiltered or semifiltered) sake, because it's kind of creamy and nutty, and it goes well with sushi. There's a regular poster on this board who goes by the handle KCWhippet, and he can tell you a lot more about sake. In the meantime, try doing a keyword search on the board on sake; you'll get one of his posts that discuss the different kinds available.

- aetre - 02-22-2004

Say, do you know if premier is open on sundays? Its a long shot I'm sure, but I was thinking about how most of the places aren't open...

- aetre - 02-22-2004

nm =)

3445 Delaware Ave., Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 873-6688 • (800) 666-6560
Hours: Mon–Thurs 9:00am - 9:00pm
Fri–Sat 9:00am - 9:30pm

(am I allowed to post phone numbers?)

- micpic8 - 02-22-2004

Welcome to the board. Try as many wines as you can and you will find many favorites. One thing to watch is wines change from vintage to vintage. Now my list of your request categories.

Voigner - Pine Ridge Voigner/Chenin blanc
Sauvignon Blanc - Honig
Merlot - Beringer's Bancroft Ranch Reserve
Shiraz - No a Fan
Syrah - Trinitas Old Vine Petite Syrah, Lodi
Saki - Haven't Had
Pinot Grigio - Rather have Gavi - Marchesi d Barolo gavi le lune
Pinot Noir - Robert Mondavi PNX

You didn't request 2 of my favorite categories - Cabernet Sauvignon & Zinfandel

- Thomas - 02-22-2004

quijote is right again--Hodge is a good Buffalo store--the first one to get a license in Buffalo after Prohibition; speak to Joe Pepe.

- aetre - 02-22-2004

ok, got some new questions (should this go into a new thread?)

seyval/semillon chardonnay. I don't know the difference between these types.

and to WW, I'm ready for your cabernet advice. This is full bodied wine right? the voignier seems to be very light berry stuff, so I want to try this in place of it for right now. Please recommend a brand to start out on.

I only take your recommendations so I have a good example of what someone likes. when I stare at the rack, I want a brand to stick out right now, and then I can make comaparisons in my head...=)

its kind of like color, you can't explain it to a man who has never seen it before. if he has seen the 3 primaries, then you can describe any combination therein, and he will get 'some' idea. then I will finally be able to make the decisions based on the taste I like.

and it seems the gf really wants to stay with the medium-light body white/red, and I like medium-full body. I also wish to know the driest wine available, so I know how extreme it gets.

thanks!

------------------
the best things in life take most of life to accomplish.

- Innkeeper - 02-22-2004

Seyval Blanc is a French/American hybrid that is very hardy and grown extensively east of the Rocky Mountains including in New York State. It can be made to resemble chardonnay, and unfortuately, like chardonnay, is frequently subjected to overdoses of oak. Semillion is a classic European wine grape that tastes sweet even when it's dry. It is blended with sauvignon blanc in Bordeaux and in America. It is blended with chardonnay in Australia and in America. It is also made into a wine by itself, particularly well in Washington State. Chardonnay is the most widely planted white European wine grape. Its home is Burgundy where it goes into many great wines such as Chablis, Rully, and Macon Villages. It is also grown in Italy, Spain, North America, and throughout the wine regions of the Southern Hemisphere. We like it best when it has no or very little exposure to oak as in the White Burgundies listed above, and in "unwooded" or "unoaked" chardonnay from other regions.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-22-2004).]

- mrdutton - 02-22-2004

Try the Viognier from Horton Vineyards in Virginia. It is an award winning wine.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-22-2004).]

- winoweenie - 02-22-2004

The wines I'd recommend in the starting Cabernet are Bogle Calif or Simi Alex Vallry and in the Zinfandel catagory, Cline Calif and again the Bogle. These are good P/Q wines and variatelly correct. WW

- Tastevin - 02-23-2004

Have added the following to my list of confusing statements -
'Semillon ...............tastes sweet even when it's dry'.
T

- Thomas - 02-23-2004

...it's that age-old discussion that confuses dry as the opposite of sweet when in fact it (dry) is relative to acidity... [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 02-23-2004

There are quite a few types of sake. Some are meant to be served heated (actually closer to body temp, not almost boiling as many places serve it), some chilled (the best are served this way), and some can be served either way depending on the time of year (chilled in hot weather and warm in cold). What in particular would you like to know about sakes?

- aetre - 02-23-2004

KCW - I'm looking for a sake I can actually drink without shriveling my face...I know there's a bunch of kinds but I'm serious, that was awful stuff.

but yeah, a smoother sake I guess? I want one that is not sour like that was, and I want it to feel warm like wine does (if that's possible, I'm out of my hole with saki)

thanks

- wondersofwine - 02-23-2004

Viognier--not much experience but the Steele Viognier from Jed Steele was pretty nice
Sauvignon Blanc--I prefer those from Sancerre France, especially Francois Cotat but less expensive alternatives are St. Supery or Rancho Zabaco from California
Pinot Noir--Argyle or Ponzi or Torii Mor (all from Oregon)-- or Steele Carneros Pinot Noir (California)
Shiraz--inexpensive--Paringa (Australia); more expensive Kay "Hillside"
Merlot--Bogle is sometimes okay for an inexpensive California Merlot but I prefer some from Italy--also try Snoqualmie from Washington State if you find it

- quijote - 02-23-2004

Aetre, the only time I've seen Premier Liquors open on a Sunday is right before a major holiday--Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter. The parking lot gets so crowded that several men and women in orange suits stand around to control traffic.

Also, if you haven't visited the gourmet food shop next door to the liquor store, it's worth taking a peek. They have a great selection of cheeses, sausages, and other cholesterol-jumpers. I believe the food store is open 7 days a week.

- aetre - 02-23-2004

Quijote - I'm going there today. I remember the wine store that is near me isn't open on monday, and I'm out of wine already!

the sauvignon blanc from K-J was wonderful. that's 3 for 3 of the Kendall-Jackson brand. love that stuff.

and because I'm curious, how did you know about the premier wines near me? you seem to know sheridan and its intersections well for an out of state fellow =)

------------------
the best things in life take most of life to accomplish.