WineBoard
your favorite wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: your favorite wines? (/thread-18368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- aetre - 02-21-2004

I would like to know (from the experts) what your favorite kinds of wine are. In these categories only please, as I don't want to try others (read: YET) thanks (yes I'm new to the board)

voigner

sauvignon blanc

merlot

shiraz

syrah

saki

pinot grigio

pinot noir

==================

as you can tell, I don't like sweet wines yet. I love how dry wines (white OR red) compliment even the modest of meals (spaghettios as someone stated, hamburger helper, as well as the best alfredo dish from Olive Garden) and I would love to hear your comments on what YOU like from these kinds I stated. I just need somewhere to start. People keep asking what is best what is best, and you keep saying 'try them, try them' well I will, with your list, that I will promptly read every time I get more wine.

now, what I bought tonight (PLEASE comment on it) that I have yet to try:

kendall-jackson (fav so far): sauvignon blanc 2001

sho-chiku bai: saki ($4)

Campanile Pinot Grigio 2001 'friuli' and it says 'grave' on it too

===================

I've loved wine since I was in france, august 1999, at the age of 18. I've come back, and fell into the 'beer, liqueor' that is prevelant among people my age. Now that I've settled down and those friends have gone by the wayside, wine appreciation is full steam. Please comment as much as you can on this post, as this is the only information I'm allowing myself for the time being (wine is more complicated than any subject I've ever encountered)

thanks

- Duane Meissner - 02-21-2004

Greetings,

Welcome to the board. I'd give you my list of favorite wines, but I'm no expert [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] hehe.

DM

- winoweenie - 02-21-2004

Hi Aetre and welcome to the board. You have a nice list but, unfortunately, you've left off the 2 most important varietals, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Savignon, my personal favorite. WW

- tandkvd - 02-21-2004

Welcome aetre. Well I'm no expert, I was bitten by the wine bug a little over a year ago. This is a differant question from a novice, than what we usualy see. They usualy start off with "I'm looking for a sweet wine"

But as most here will tell you, the best wines are the ones that you have tasted and liked. I don't pay attention to wine scores, however I have taken advice from the seasoned veterans here and have learned from them.
So here is my 2 cents worth.

voigner - No experance with this one.

sauvignon blanc - My favorite white wine. I like ones from New Zealand the best, Spy Valley & Kim Crawford are good, but was supprised by a Fetzer SB that I liked.

merlot - I started off with this wine for about a year before I was really searious about wine. I drank it mostly because it was the most popular. I have drank verry little since trying other wines. I was supprised by one made here in NC by Shelton Vinyards that I liked.

shiraz/syrah - These are the same, it depands on where the wine comes from as to what it is called. Austrialia has a lot of good ones. Rosemont wines are good affordable ones.

saki - No experance with this one.

pinot grigio - No experance with this one, except at a wine tasting.

pinot noir - A very good lighter red wine. I had one last week for Valintines that was great, Merry Edwards. Some good ones for less money are Pepperwood Grove & Villa Mt. Eden.

Other one that I like:

Tempernillo - A spanish wine usualy combined with othe viriatals to make a good affordable wine.

Barbera - A good wine with high acid meals such as ones with tomatoes.

And of course Cabrnet Sauvignon - Our resident CS expert can give you good selections. He is well seasoned. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- aetre - 02-21-2004

chardonnay - I had a bottle from 1989 (don't have the name with me) and I cracked it last night with my spaghetti/meat sauce (homecooked mmm) and I really disliked this wine. I know you probably couldn't tell me why because the lack of brand right now, but it had a strange aftertaste, no intense flavor to be found, just a generally 'flat' almost champagne like taste to it (don't like champagne)

Cabernet Savignon - that is next, but I feel my plate is full right now =)

shiraz-syrah - didn't know these were the same! good thing I didn't pick it up yet then, I just had black opal 12.5% when I was at outback (wonderful wine, but my gf won't drink it by itself)

Tempernillo - noted! I had the naiivity to think that france is the only place that can make quality wine, I've been humbled recently into correct thinking (most notably with Kendall-Jackson PR white from CA)

Barbera - perfect! I love pasta dishes, and am looking for a 'niche' wine for these tomato dishes

voigner - I couldn't find it. this wine was the one I was going to buy, but the whole store just skips over it for some reason...if anyone has info on it that'd be great.

==================

okay now with the list! I wanna know the brands you like, and I'll go for those first. Like someone said before just pick a type and buy different brands every time, and take note - I just want somewhere to start =)

And yes, I love the dry wines more, sweet wine just tastes too kool-aid like for me. I guess you could say I fell in love with how dry a drink can be, and that's what turned me on to the whole thing in the first place. But I will keep the zinfandels in mind for cheesecake and other desserts =)

ciao!

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2004

Our current favorites of those originally listed:

Viogner - Terre Rouge (CA)
Sauvignon Blance - Simonsig (SA)
Merlot - Bortoluzzi, Collio (IT)
Shiraz - House of Certain Views (AUS)
Syrah - Tobin James (CA)
Saki - Can't read it; label in Japanese
Pinot Grigio - Bortoluzzi, Isonzo Del Friuli (IT)
Pinot Noir - Logan Sleepy Hallow Vineyard (CA)

- quijote - 02-21-2004

1989 is a bit old for Chardonnay, even for "agers." You'd do better trying Chards from the last few vintages. (Your observation about the Champagne flavor is right on, by the way--Chardonnay is the predominant white grape used for Champagne.)

Also, for many (most?) wine drinkers, Chards don't have the body or acidity to stand up well to tomato sauce and/or beef; even if your Chard still had some life left in it, the acidity and strength of the food probably would have biased you against the Chard.

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 02-21-2004).]

- quijote - 02-21-2004

By the way, aetre, if you're looking for a place near NF with an excellent wine selection, and if you ever go to the North Buffalo (Kenmore) area, take a look at Premier Liquors (on Delaware Ave. near Sheridan). This place has aisles and aisles of wines of all kinds, including a significant selection of Viognier. I wish Milwaukee had such a store.

- tandkvd - 02-21-2004

I agree with Q, the Chard. would not be a good match with that menu. I don't know if it is available where you are, but S. Orsola 2001 Barbera d'Asti would be a good match with spaghetti w/tomato sauce and meat.

Keep an open mind when it comes to differant wines. I had a Chardonney that I didn't like when I first started. Reciently I had a Chard. that I realy liked, mainly because I paired it with the right meal. Thats the main thing with wine. Finding the right food pairing will make all the differance in the food and wine. Like one of the regulars here says "wine is food".

BTW, take note on IK's sugestions. He knows what he is talking about.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 02-21-2004).]

- aetre - 02-21-2004

quijote = Yes, I also made the mistake of thinking the older the wine, the better it was going to be (even though I don't store it, and its ALWAYS 73f in my house)

and I'm glad to know I was on the right track with the taste. I have no illusions, I don't know the differences in wine other than the warm feeling when you swallow, and the flavor immediately afterward)

Innkeeper = thank you! I've emailed it home for my gf, she will pick them up throughout the month.

quijote = I know where that is, I work on the waterfront in buffalo so I could just slide on over through the squajacuada (SiC lol) and stop over and get some voigner. How do you feel about this wine?

thanks for the support, I now feel more optimistic in knowing about wine. As much as I love the stuff, I have a hard time picking one when I go out to eat, and at $6 a glass for some of them, I'm afraid I'll ruin my dinner =P

I'll post back with what I've found, and my opinions for each...thanks!

ciao

- aetre - 02-21-2004

tandkvd = what is a good meal to go with chardonnay? mind you I would love to get through this NEVER finding a wine I don't like. Mixing with the wrong meal definately seems correct, and I hope its true =)

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2004

We like chardonnay (usually "unwooded" or "unoaked" ones from Australia or New Zealand) with sauteed chicken or haddock in cream sauce.

- Thomas - 02-21-2004

aetre, I tried sending the follwing earlier but the Internet was clogged on my end; some of what I say has already been posted by quijote--but here it is anyway:

You are in Niagara Falls, NY. Make your way to Premier Wines and Spirits, in the northern suburbs of Buffalo--Ken...something or other is the town name. There, you will find just about any wine and from just about any country.And they offer wine tastings.

I caution people new to wine not to accept blanket statements about the product; it is one way for you to think you know something when you really are getting a half answer. For instance, Pinot Noir is often a light wine--but that is by no means always the case. That is so because, like many grapes, pinot noir is produced in many climates--climate affects wine density, not to mention winemaking practices.

It is a better idea to maybe take a wine class or follow some wine books; others have their favorite books and I am sure one or two on the board will make a recommendation.

Incidentally, you likely did not care for the Chardonnay you had with pasta and meat sauce (tomato sauce, I assume) because that is probably one the worst wine and food pairings I know. Keep in mind, too, that pairing wine with food (doing it well, that is) is both a learned experience as well as a subjective one.

Finally, I offer three reasons that knowing our favorites doesn't get you far: what is a favorite today may not be a favorite after something more appealing comes along tomorrow; what is a favorite to someone else (even a so-called expert) won't necessarily mean you will like it; practicing favortisim in wine is an open invitation toward becoming complacent.

I reiterate: take a class or get some books, or both. Oh yes, attend in-store wine tastings; you can learn a lot right there.

you are young enough to have a lot of time to learn about wine--don't go too fast and don't give up. It seems daunting, but your palate will ultimately lead you to a pleasant place.

- tandkvd - 02-21-2004

This is the meal we had with Chardonney that I liked.

Chicken brest, dipped in butter then rolled in a mixture of bread crumbs, Emerals Essence, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Then baked in the oven. Also had broclie and cheese.

- tandkvd - 02-21-2004

Foodie, I agree with what you said. The Merry Edwards, Pinot was a bigger wine than most Pinots.

But, I think it is good to get input from others that are more experienced with wine, to help with selections. A wine shop can be very intimidating. And it has helped me to take some of your sugestions, to help me find wines that I like. And when you develop a sence of what you like and don't like it gets more easy to make good selections.

That is why I mentioned to keep an open mind with wine. What you dislike today could change over a short period of time, once you develope a broader taste for wine.

- aetre - 02-21-2004

foodie - yes its kenmore, as Q stated. they offer wine tastings?!?! that's great! I wanted to go to one near the border of canada (other side of youngstown I believe) but most of the events there were $45 per person...I don't have that much, and I didn't want to find out about wines that only experienced wine drinkers would be able to discern (IE: I have no idea what 'oak' flavor people talk of, never tasted this)

so these wine tastings, conseriding cost, is definately got my interest. Sounds like this store is better than the one near me.

Wine pairing, yes I've heard of it, and I tried to do it but I never really ran into the brick wall I did last night with the chard...it was definately a wake up call that I have to pay attention. (which is why I sat down at the pc and decided to ask all of you)

so, for this chardonnay (I'll try again I promise!) its better with an alfredo/cream sauce thats ____ (opposite spicy? I don't know the word that goes here, and I don't want to use 'bland' either) or for soups/potato meals?

and to foodie,

"you are young enough to have a lot of time to learn about wine--don't go too fast and don't give up. It seems daunting, but your palate will ultimately lead you to a pleasant place."

read my sig =)

------------------
the best things in life take most of life to accomplish.

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2004

Favorite wines are not always easy to find or easily available. Here is some help with those we recommended. For viogner, the Georges DuBoeuf, Vines de Pays is lovely, widely available, and about half the price of the Terre Rouge. The sauvignon blanc and the shiraz are available from http://www.southernwines.com/ . The merlot and the pinot grigio are available from http://www.popswine.com/ . For the syrah consider looking for the one from Eberle. They are just down the road from Tobin James, and use much the same grapes. Pepperwood Grove also puts out an excellent California Syrah at a great price. For the pinot noir go to: http://www.tastemonterey.com . A very nice chardonnay is Coopers Creek, Gisborne, Unoaked Chardonnay, and is available from: http://www.chambersstwines.com/

- aetre - 02-21-2004

tandkvd - I just (JUST) found out about a bad decision I made regarding the label on the bottle. we perused through UAS bottles, and I saw a bright orange, red, and yellow selection called 'yellowtail' and it was listed for $4 a bottle, so I past it over (at least, told the gf to put it down) and we got the other ones I stated.

I come into work today, excited and talking about wines and a guy I know told me to pick up at first glance 'yellowtail' for dinner, he loves the stuff he said.

reminds me again how the price, age, or label will vary with what I may or may not like, and its impossible without trying over and over.

Thanks too all of you, you're gems right now, as this wine 'structure' is starting to take shape in my mind. InnKeeper, definately a tall glass of knowledge you are, I appreciate it infinitely =)

adeu, until I've tasted what's been offered here =)

[This message has been edited by aetre (edited 02-21-2004).]

- Thomas - 02-21-2004

aetre, pay close attention to the taste of the Yellow Tail--I think that one will give you some experience with oak taste.

- Thomas - 02-21-2004

tandkvd, I know what you mean. I simply have this penchant for not giving novices half answers because so many people trying to learn take what is told them as law, and then they miss out on so many other things.

I got that way by teaching classes and listening to what people think they know is true about wine. There is so much mis-information or half-information, and so little time to correct it...